New York-New York City

AVOID ADRIENNE's BRIDAL

Stay away!!! You get better customer service at McDonalds than Adriennes's bridal (AB). I originally went there to try on a Jim Hjelm dress and brought along my cousin and two bestfriends. The owner, Mariann, was late to my first appointment by 15 mins. I shrugged it off, but this was an indication of what's to come... That same day my cousin Anne (also engaged) wanted to try on a wedding dress for fun (she had no intention of buying) but ended up falling in love with a dress. The dress was nothing special, in my opinion, it was extremely outdated. (Imagine a quinceanera dress in satan) Mariann offered her a deal, 1k alterations included. Frankly, we paid Mariann a thousand dollars to take an old dress off her hands!!!

We went back for three more dress fittings ...

Fitting number 1- Mariann was late, again! We arrived promptly at 11am for our appointment. We were not allowed into the store because the owner did not arrive. Even though the seamstress was in the basement, she was strictly told not to let anyone in, even if they have an appointment. Luck for us the weather was not that bad in March. Can you image if it was January?!?! We patiently waited outside the store front until Mariann arrived.

Fitting number 2- There was a miscommunication breakdown between us and Mariann. I wanted my mother to see my dress and my cousin's at the same time. My cousin's availability clashed with my mom's so we stuck to the regular 11am appointment schedule. Somehow, Mariann thought we would both show up at 6pm that day. Under the assumption that our appointment was at 11am, we arrived AB and she was no where in sight. Her assistant, I can't recall her name (but should be either a family member or employee of hers) blamed us for showing up at the wrong time. Did not apologize or take any responsibility for what happened. Kept telling us that Mariann was on her way... we waited over an hours and a half until her 12pm appointment arrived. Another man, also came in to pick up a dress that morning and walked out empty handed because Mariann was working on it the night before and was late on delivering the dress. Her 12pm appointment came in to try on a bride's maid dress and had to come back because Mariann's assistant didn't know how much the dress cost.

Fitting number 3- Mariann was barely on time here. Not much to complain about here. Everything seemed like it was running smoothly...

Fitting number 4- We learned our lesson... My cousin asked Mariann what time she was able to show up since 11am seems to be a problem for her. Mariann said at 12pm, my cousin would be able to walk out with her wedding dress in hand. I arrived a little early and bumped into the UPS delivery guy and did some small talk. He basically said, Mariann is the worst business owner ever! He has to ring the buzzer 10 million times just to get the seamstress to open the door to pick up Mariann's delivery. Her business hours start at 11am, but no one if ever there! One hour later, Mariann is nowhere in sight and her assistant (the same one that gave us a hard time at fitting #2) arrived on Mariann's behalf. My cousin had one final fitting to see if any work needed to be done to it before we paid the other 50%. Mariann's assistant said it's ready, I just have to press it. If you WANT to try it on, she'll press it afterwards. It's not that we WANT to try it on, we NEED/SHOULD try it on. We tried the dress on and found stains still on the dress. She said and I quote, "Maybe you guys did it?!?!" and then suggested that my cousin's 16 year old tattoo on her wrist might be the cause of the stain!!! WHAT?!?! We scanned the dress and found more stains, it was still damp from recently being cleaned and the beadings on the dress were hanging off by the thread. It seems like the just started working on it the night before. My cousin wanted me in the fitting room with her when she took the dress off, but Mariann's assistant ran into the fitting room with us and said she's responsible for the dress and that she needed to be around. WHAT?!?! You guys had two weeks to take care of this dress and now you want to take responsibility of this dress?

We are now approaching 1:15pm and Mariann just walked into the store. Approaches her assistant and says, "I am so tired, I worked all night on the dress (referring to another client's dress)." Says "hi" to us and breezes down to the basement and disappears for 45mins! We kept asking how much longer? "She's almost done cleaning, she is bagging the dress right now." We don't want you to bag the dress, we still need to inspect it! At 2:30, we see Mariann and the wedding dress, there are still stains and some of the beadwork is still hanging by the thread.

We are pissed now! I told her that I have another appointment later at 3, her response "You can do to the appointment, you don't need Anne (my cousin)." EXCUSE ME?!?! Did I just hear that correctly? Why would I - 1. not want to be here for my cousin's final fitting, since I'll be the one to put her in the dress during the wedding and I'm responsible for the trying the bustle?!?!? 2- Go to my venue appointment alone?!?! 3- Who gave you the right to tell me how I should be planning my own wedding?

At this point, it was so late that Mariann's next appointment already arrived with her entire family for her dress fitting.

My cousin demanded a refund. Mariann said, "NO!" We selected a sample dress and this is what we get. She insisted she gave us a good deal. This dress is so outdated, we did you a deal by taking this off your hands! Either way, we paid for something and we expect the dress to look brand new, clean and bead-work and threads attached to the dress. At this point her face is red and tears are starting to come out.

We argued and explain that a common courtesy call to inform us the night before to tell us that the dress might not be 100% ready. We would have been okay with that. We just did not appreciate her wasting our time and blaming us for something we did not do.

My cousin threaten to picket outside the store until she got her refund. At one point Mariann offered us to take the dress as is for $500 dollars. She turned it down and wanted the refund. Whenever we see this dress, we'll associate it to this terrible experience we have. Finally, Mariann agreed to the refund and insisted that we were making a big mistake as my cousin was signing the refund receipt.

In the store, I looked up the reviews on saw 2.5 stars out of 80 reviews. Almost 99.9% had something negative to say about their experience. This place was also on fox 5 news - the report suggested that they would sell you fake designer wedding dresses.

I called another bridal salon, Wedding Atelier, told them our story and booked us an appointment within the hour. We walked out of there in 2 hours with a potential wedding dress that was 100x better than the first one at AB. Our experience there was night and day. Keep in mind, we have exactly 1.5 weeks until my cousin's wedding, and they have 7 days to alter a sample size wedding dress down to a size 0! Our sales associate Jessica made everything better. She worked with her budget and was really honest with what would look good on my cousin. We did not feel pressure despite the pressing time frame. The store was clean and bright. Just go to WA!!! Trust me, you will not regret this.

Wish I read the reviews about this place before hand.

O yea, when I was across the streets at Adrienne's bridesmaid store- I left my purse in the front and forgot to take it with me to the fitting room area. I think that's where Mariann's sales lady dug into my wallet and stole $200 dollars from it. The store was closed off to the public, if people wanted to come in they would have to be buzzed in order to come in. I thought it was safe... should have known better. The only time I have ever let me guard down, I get robbed.   

Re: AVOID ADRIENNE's BRIDAL

• alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    UGH. I'm so sorry. They are notoriously terrible. I've heard a ton of these stories and a close friend had a horrific experience getting her dress from Adriennes 2 years ago.

You can read the post here:

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • wow. thanks for letting us know.
    abc
  • LiffleLiffle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2012
    I AGREE! I selected Adrienne's Bridal for bridesmaid dresses for my October 2012 wedding. Based on my experience, I would not recommend Adrienne's to anyone. 
    The selection of dresses was good, but the customer service left much to be desired. 
    The woman assisting us during our initial appointment was aloof and ordered the dresses many sizes too large. I can understand ordering a "size up" or to the largest measurement, but 4 of my 5 bridesmaids had to have their dresses COMPLETELY RECONSTRUCTED. They were originally so large that they fell off of their bodies. I paid for all of my bridesmaids' dresses as my gift to them, and certainly disliked having them put in the position where they needed to shell out lots of money for extensive alterations. It completely detracted from the spirit of the gifts. 
    After placing the order, I had a very difficult time getting in touch with a salesperson, by phone and by e-mail, in order to obtain an expected date of delivery. If they even picked up their phone, they would rudely say they were "too busy" to help me and that they would call me back later. They never did. This happened repeatedly. Some of my bridesmaids offered to make phone calls on my behalf, and they reported the same experience.
    When the dresses did arrive, I had the unpleasant experience of trying to schedule an appointment to pick up the dresses (I live in New Jersey). After several attempts, I finally scheduled my pick up. When I arrived at my appointment, the saleswoman seemed surprised to see me and stated that I did not, in fact, have an appointment. She also informed me that she was not sure if my dresses had arrived. When I asked her to look, she found 3 of the dresses and I ended up going through the rack to find the additional 2. At this point, I expressed my dissatisfaction with my experience with Adrienne's. The saleswoman's response was a series of flimsy excuses based on personal reasons. I was not interested in learning more about the personal lives of the saleswomen at Adrienne's, I simply wanted a professional apology. 
    Dealing with Adrienne's was the worst experience of planning my wedding. I urge you to look elsewhere for dresses. 
  • I so wish I had read these reviews BEFORE I went to Adrienne's. I went there by appointment, advising that I needed help finding a wedding dress on short order.  Marianne was lovely before the sale while I was trying on dresses, assuring me that they could get the dress I liked, altered and cleaned and to me within a couple of days. However, when I returned for the fitting, she had completely changed.  She was late for the appointment, and plain rude when I complained that I was not pleased with the alterations. She ended up shipping me the dress, and I received it 10 days later after having to call.  It was ripped, the hem uneven, and still did not fit correctly. However, as another reviewer indicated, once the "deal was closed," she was no longer interested in customer service.  We ended up feeling completely ripped off by the whole ordeal, and it was an ordeal.  Definitely avoid.
  • This place is really, really poorly run.   About a year ago, I looked here for a bridal dress, but decided against it because everything was so unorganized.  This time I had to go back for a bridesmaid dress and it was a totally mess.

PROs: The dress was the right dress and very beautiful
    CONs: Incredibly unorganized and poorly run business - bring your patience if you decide to shop here

FIRST PROBLEM
    The first "try-on" appoint we had as a group (about 5 girls) was over a month ago and it was on a Saturday.  We were kept waiting for at least 10min and then told it would take awhile to place the order for a dress because they were short handed and the owner had to come over from the other store (across the street) and the employee who was helping us was not authorized to place orders.

SECOND PROBLEM
    Second time, I went back there to get measured and paid for the rest of the dress.  Once again, I had to wait over 15 min for someone to help me (even though I had an appointment, which I had to make over a week in advance).  The woman working at the store informed me she wasn't authorized to take payment for the rest of the dress (even though I was very clear on the phone that this is what I intended to do during my appointment).  So the woman working wrote down my credit card information on a pad (totally scary) and said she would charge me for the remaining balance when the owner was back.  So I left.
    They sent me the receipt in the mail (they couldn't email it) and only charged me for some of the dress and no the remaining balance as I had asked for.  So I called the store and had to call them about 5 separate times before a human being picked up the phone.  I spoke with someone who fixed the billing problem and then I got a new receipt that was correct (or so I thought)

THIRD PROBLEM
    Made an appointment to try on the dress at 11am on Saturday and get fitted for alterations.  No one showed up to the store until 11:35am and there were about 8 people waiting there (1) a group of bridesmaids that had traveled into the city and were going to miss their next appointment (2) an angry bride and her friend who were coming to pick up the dress and have a fitting(3) another bridesmaid who was there to pick up a dress.  When the owner got there to open the door I wanted to grab the dress and leave.  I was NOT going to have my alterations done here since everything was such a mess.  However, they insisted they had to charge me $75 for the remaining balance of the dress (even though I had already paid it).  The place was clearly very busy and I knew it was going to take forever for me to get them to pull up historical records especially the owner was busy helping the bride. So I left and told the owner she will have to credit me the balance back.  Today I emailed her the receipt and final payment documents so hopefully I"ll hear back soon and get my money back.  What a mess.

FOURTH PROBLEM
    I spoke to the bride afterwards and let her know what happened.  She informed me that she had to wait over 30min to pick up and pay for the other dresses that she was sending out of town.  Overall, every one in the bridal party had a very frustrating experience.

RECOMMENDATIONS: The owner needs more help, would make sense for her to have a full time employee just dedicated to making reservations (i.e. picking up the phone) and dealing with billing.  It's crazy that none of her employees can make credit cards sales, which causes the owner to constantly go back and forth between stores.   Definitely not how I would run a business!  I would AVOID this store at all costs!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards