Jewish Weddings

wording invitation -- grroms step dad

This one may be tricky -- and i could use helpMy Fiance's father is alive but they have ZERO relationship and he is not a part of our lives. His mom's current husband, however has been a part of my fiance's life since he was 13 and will be walking him down the aisle with his mom (jewish tradition) the tricky part comes to the invite -- i know he would love to be listed, but i think it is weird to sayMr. Husband to beSon of Mother and Stepfather last nameI know he wants to be included and may feel left out if we just say Son of Mother, Last nameAny suggestions on how to include them -- we are not going to say together with our parents, because that is not how i roll, but any suggestions are welcome!

Re: wording invitation -- grroms step dad

• edited December 2011
    IMHO, a father is more than someone who helps create a person.  Most everyone should probably already know about your FI's close relationship with his step-dad, so it would be no surprise to see his name on the invite to suggest a father-son relationship. I think the invite would look fine Mr. Husband-to-be Son of Mrs. X and Mr. Y.  Or you can put his mom's name on the first line and his step-fathers on the second.  If this whole name thing is creating an issue, then I'd junk it all together and say, Together with their Parents, X and Y ... but it's obvious you want to give parents their kudos. Just my opinion, but I don't see a problem just putting his step-dads name and you don't have to make any extra distinction to note he's not his father-by-birth.
  • tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not following why you think it would be weird to have the step-dad's name there. Sounds like he functions a full-fledged father figure for your FI and should be listed. I'd be inclined to do just what you proposed: FH name son of Mom first and Step-dad first theirlast Ultimately, though, I think this is up to your FH -- what does HE say?
  • ShoshieShoshie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've seen:Brad Smithson of Sarah and Michael Jones and David SmithBut I think Brad Smith son of Sarah and Michael Joneswould be just fine, too -- unless there are people from your FI's dad's side that might be hurt by that.
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think you are right -- I would rather honor his step-dad in this way then worry about it sounding weird.  they dont have the same last name and on top of that -- if people get confused -- let them.i guess i just want him comfortable and he needs to think it out
  • edited December 2011
    I think thats totally ok, as everyone has said, to include his step father, and despite him having a different last name, I think it still works. Mr. Joseph Stein son of Mrs. Anna Stein and Mr. Bobby Jackson..... it would probbably look like that if his mother had kept and used her maiden name anyway, so its really totally normal looking/sounding to me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards