North Carolina-Outer Banks

lkleffke

Hey!  I'm Casey and that is so exciting that you are a 9/19/09 too!And I live in Va too; I'm from Suffolk!  So tell me how things are going for you?  I just finished up radiology school and I am taking my boards in a few days... so the wedding stuff is on a delay!  like my invites... which is really bad!  Did you already send yours out?  What are you using for your wedding programs... that is our newest problem. haha Sorry for all the questions I'm just so excited to meet someone who is getting married in the OBX on the same day! 

Re: lkleffke

• lkleffkelkleffke member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi GanC!Oh, you're not behind --and no worries with the questions!! I JUST sent my invites out at the end of last week.  I am in the same situation as you -- My fiance proposed in November and I was about to begin my last semester in grad school for architecture.  So until this May, all wedding stuff took a back seat to thesis papers, presentations, papers and exams until graduation.  So i didnt start really planning until May.  The planning has gone nuts the past few weeks - trying to get the bridesmaids dresses in line, timeline finalizing, etc.  The biggest time-consuming thing is that all the paper goods have been DIY - the save the dates, invite design (which I have put parts of on my blog link below and will post more soon) , place cards, table names cards, programs, etc.  I'm such an OCD perfectionist that I think that's whats made it take longer than it should.  We're also doing all of the rehearsal dinner invites, menus, etc.  It's been crazy, to say the least. Our programs have become a pain also. I wanted them is to have them bookmark sized, but able to fold out into a fan shape.  Easier said then done. We shall see how it goes.  How about you?  How has all of the stuff you've been able to get done turned out?  Also, you said you're having your wedding in Kill Devil Hills?  Where are you having your recpetion?  This is really exciting that we're wedding month twins from VA getting married in NC!! 
  • GandC09GandC09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow we really do have a lot in common! Congrats on your masters that is no easy task! I just found out today that I passed my boards and it is like a huge weight has been lifted. So if I'm not making sense it because my brain is gone. Well we are getting married at The Hilton at the stop light (like you are going to Duck). Hope that makes sense. The ceremony is going to be on the beach. They turned the pier house into a ball room and it is gorgeous over the water! That is where our reception is going to be. For the programs we were going to do the paddle fan program, but now looking at the prices...we have changed our minds. So I really have no clue what we are going to do and I need to hurry up and make a decision. And we are going to meet with Renee in a few weeks which I am very excited about! I want to hang a bunch of those lanterns from the celling so I can't wait to hear her ideas. Who is your photographer by the way? Did you go with someone from Hampton roads or NC?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    CONGRATS on passing your boards -- no small achievement at all. I hope you and your fiance were able to celebrate a little -- you've earned it!! Is the Hilton you're having your wedding at the Hilton Garden Inn that right at the intersection where Interstate 12 meets the bridge? I've never been, but I have heard it is beautiful there. Have you met with Renee at all yet? I met w/ her in March when I was on Spring break and we were able to iron out a lot of the details. Some things have changed since then and since I'm a designer myself I'm constantly thinking of new things to do, which can be irritating to some vendors, I'm sure. I would love to have another meeting w/ her before the wedding in September, just so I know we're 100% on the same page. We're using Neil GT as our photographer. After calling around, interviewing and asking our reception people, we decided on him b/c he fit everything we looked for and was avaiable. Who are you using? Also, are you using a dj or a band for your reception? I wasn't sold 100% on either one, but we're going w/ a DJ. How's everything else going for you? bridesmaids & dresses, cake, etc? Also, what colors are you using? and last but not least -- why did you pick the outer banks? I'm always fascinated by how so many people from so many places have discovered the place I've always considered my second home (Corolla. at least, not really KDH or Kitty Hawk). It really is so special! I'm getting so excited just thinking about everything. I love projects like this!
  • GandC09GandC09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I'm happy I don't have to study anymore!!! The Hilton is at the 1st or 2nd mile post once you get off the bridge. Its behind the Haynes shopping center in kitty hawk. (I don't know if that helps at all) We have a house in nags head and I'm just like you, I have gone down there my whole life. My fiance and I started dating down there and he proposed there as well. So we decided it would be perfect to have our wedding at the outer banks. I was able to talk with Renee at the wedding show in Jan. and tell her my ideas. I have talked to her a couple of times over the phone but I can't wait to sit down and plan it all out. Our colors are hot pink and lime green and I'm thinking now I may add some orange to it since it is September! What are your colors going to be? Well the bridesmaids dresses are all in and now I wish I would've picked a different style...I guess that is what happens when you pick out a style to early. I have been changing my mind on a lot of the details as the wedding gets closer. Are you feeling the same way? Echard Wheeler is doing our pics. He is from Va beach; he did one of my friends sisters wedding and I loved his style. We already did my bridal portraits now I just can't wait to see the wedding pics! We are using a dj from Chesapeake because we know that he is really good. A band would be great though. Is your ceremony on the beach? Where are you having your wedding? (you probably already told me...sorry) Can you belive only 50 days left!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Casey, I read your post on another thread and have a very similar wedding in the works for next October!  I am going to OBX for the first time this October to start booking things.  I live in Iowa, not terribly convenent for planning but  I fell in love with pictures of the Pier Houseat the Hilton. I can't wait to hear/see how your wedding went!  I too am thinking of pink/green/orange for colors.  I have a lot of time to plan, but can only make it out there once prior to our wedding!  Any advice you could give about vendors would be much appreciated!  My email is caitlin-beresford@hotmail.comI feel like the most clueless bride ever!Thank you!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my goodness yes! I've been changing things so much now, esp since im super detail oriented and a designer by profession, so I've become very conscious about everything. Our colors are Navy and Lime Green with a touch of Coral in the flowers. They're not super fall colors, but I figure they're pretty season neutral -- the coral has just a touch of orange to make it not so springy. The bridesmaid dresses are Navy cotton from Jcrew and I pretty much just let them pick out the style they wanted. Jcrew's been interesting to work with and if done again, I wouldn't have told the girls the dresses so early if I had known that Jcrew would be changing the styles b/t january and now. Oh well -- now finding shoes for all of them has become the challenege. I've heard of Echard Wheeler before (im trying to remember from where) but I've never seen any of his work. I was pretty neutral on the band / dj thing b/c im fully aware of the pros and cons of both. We ended up going for a dj... and now we're trying to get someone to play during the ceremony. The things I can't do myself (music, food, etc) have become the biggest headaches for me b/c I've had a struggle finding someone that lives down there and is reasonably priced. The Ceremony is at the Corolla Chapel up in Corolla. I've wanted to get married there since I was 7, so it was a non-negotiable part of the wedding. The reception is at the Currituck Club -- so far its been wonderful to work with everyone there. It was really important to have everything semi-inside, b/c I have horrible luck and know that if i had done everything outside, we'd have a Cat 5 hitting the outer banks that weekend. wow --- less than 50 days. I feel so not ready. You?
  • khoran8khoran8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello 9/19 OBX brides!! I'm getting married that day as well!  We are having the ceremony on the beach in Corolla, and the reception at Duck Woods.  We used out of town photographer and DJ.  Where are you girls doing pre-ceremony hair/makeup?? We may run into each other ;) Good luck with planning!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Khoran8! Hello fellow 09.19.09 and corolla bride! I'me using Heather Clark from Hairicaines and she's actually coming to the house to do my girls and my hair. Im definitely getting spa treatment the week before that I'll be down there... I have a sneaky suspicion that I'll need some stress relief!! Hows everything going for you - 1 mon and one week isnt enough time thats for sure. On another random note - G&C and khoran - where will you guys be honeymooning?
  • GandC09GandC09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow it's great to meet another 9/19/09er!  At the obx at that!  Congrats! Can you believe that it is only 40 days away?  I can't believe it.We just got home today from the beach.  We had my bach. party down there this weekend and it was sooo much fun!  What are you girls planning on doing or have you already had yours?  My mom is a hair dresser so she and her friends are doing our hair and I have a girl coming to the hotel to do our make up.Both of those places are beautiful.. let's just hope and pray that it will be a beautiful weekend :)
  • GandC09GandC09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh and I forgot we are going to Hawaii for our honeymoon :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Happy 30 day mark ladies!! Just some peace of mind if you've been like me recently and been worried about weather for our day -- Old Farmer's Almanac --http://www.almanac.com/weatherforecast/us/4 Dry Day -- http://www.dryday.com/30dayWeather/US/North%20Carolina/Corolla.html Farmer's Almanac-- http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/USA-Southeastern-weather Looks pretty decent (scattered showers? isnt a little drizzle of rain in the morning ok on your wedding day?) on all three sites. Good luck w/ everything ladies!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards