Wedding Reception Forum

Bride/Groom Thank you speech?

Our wedding is "relatively" small (~100). We were planning on doing table visits and thanking everyone personally. Is a speech from us necessary as well? I don't ever recall hearing a thank you speech from the bride and groom at a wedding, but I may just not have noticed!

Re: Bride/Groom Thank you speech?

• I've never been to a wedding where the B&G give a speech.  If you're doing table visits, I'd say that's plenty.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • We're doing a toast, basically to thank everyone. Our DJ actually told us we needed to extend a thank you to everyone. Something short and sweet is all nothing incredibly long...my Fiance is doing it on behalf of the both of us...i'm pretty sure he has something to say to me as well. Dear Lord I'll lose it! ha ha!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've never seen a bride/groom speech and we didn't do one.  Table visits and socializing with your guests is great, you don't have to do a speech/toast too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the input!
  • We just did a quick thank you to our WP, our family and all of our guests. Then H did an impromtu toast to me that wasn't expected! It was so cute. I don't think it's required but it's a nice gesture.  
  • I don't think it's "required," but I do think it's nice. I notice when a couple does one -- seems to make the evening more personal -- and when they don't. My ex- and I did one at my first wedding. We thanked all our guests for coming and gave special thanks to those who had traveled distances to come (not by name), our officiants by name, the woman who had fixed us up on a blind date by name, and finally our parents. Whole thing took, oh about 5 minutes, and seemed to be much appreciated. Of course, we also did table visits and chatted with everyone individually, but I think those two things complement each other, not take the place of.
  • We entered our reception and did our first dance immediately. Afterwards, DH said a few words thanking everyone for coming before our officiant said a blessing and dinner started. I thought it was a nice touch.
  • At my wedding, there was not enough time to visit all the tables individually. I had a wedding of around 90 people and a 4 hour reception. My husband and I gave a thank you toast (at the end of the toasts) where we toasted each other. It was something that really touched both of us and I believe our guests were glad to hear what we had to say about each other as well.
  • I have been to close to 100 weddings over the past 7 years as I work in the wedding industry, and I have never once been to a wedding where the bride and groom have not done a thank-you speech after all of the toasts. I find that it is a really nice way to wrap up the speeches and to recognize those who have put so much time and effort in to the day (mainly your family and bridal party, but also others like vendors and friends who have helped out). I think that I would likely find it strange if the couple didn't take the opportunity to recognize all of the work that their family and friends have put in to make the day special :)
  • @knotporscha zombie thread

@BrittniChap please make sure you're looking at the dates on the threads before responding. This post is almost 5 years old. You can certainly make a new thread if it's something you'd like to discuss.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards