Iowa-Des Moines
Options

Beer/Wine

We're doing Beer and Wine for our reception. I'd like to know if there is any place you'd recommend getting keg(s) from and where/what you're getting your wine.  What kinds? Price? Where from?I'm thinking of doing a Riesling (my favorite), Champange (cheap), Chardonnay, and a Cabernet.All recommendations are appreciated!

Re: Beer/Wine

• Options
    estrella27estrella27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using HyVee Wine & Liquor.  They've been awesome and their prices are pretty reasonable.Plus they deliver for a reasonable service charge....even better!  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest HyVee wine and spirits (they are probably the most reasonable on kegs). Wine: I think a Chardonnay for sure. A Cab or Merlot for red would be fine. If you are using Champagne for the toast, that is fine, but  I don't think you will actually have very many who just want to drink it all night. I might put more $ into the other beverages. Will anyone besides you drink a riesling? It is a pretty sweet wine, and many don't like. I would still get it, but get the least amount of this. I would guess you won't go through more than 2-3 bottles of it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if Hy-Vee does, but a lot of places will give a 10% discount for buying wine by the case (12 bottles).  Usually you can mix-and-match bottles to complete the case.  That 10% discount could make a big difference, so it's something to consider.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our reception place won't let us serve red wine so we're doing Moscato (for the toast & for serving), Chardonnay, and White Zin.  I talked to the wine distributors and they actually told me that the sweet wine usually goes over pretty well so we have 3 cases each of that and Chardonnay.  People will drink what is available so just use your best judgement.  Wherever you get it will probably be able to help with proportions too!  I got my wine at cost through a distributor but that's because of my job... like prior posts I'd recommend finding out who will give you a case discount and going that route.
    Married 08.22.09 Ryan 01.07.2011
  • Options
    harpjenharpjen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would have to agree with the other gals, I would recommend Hy Vee Wine & Spirits. They do deliver, which is a mega plus in my book. I work of Hy Vee and so, I might be a bit bias, but they do have the best prices that I have seen around. I just catered a wedding last weekend and they had cases of beer in large coolers, 2-liter pop and a couple of boxed wines. Another wedding I worked, was at a winery, so of course they used their wine and then we brought 2 kegs. I would also recommend something like Cosco or Sams. I have heard that you can buy what ever combo of wines you want, and then bring back whatever you don't use. I would, of course, talk with someone there before purchasing and make sure that you CAN do that. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone on Hy-Vee. I am a big fan. I also wanted to throw in that I know CVS does the discount on cases of wine (as odd as that sounds). They, of course, are not going to have the selection that Hy-Vee will have but you might be able to save some money with the 10% mix and match cases.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards