Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Tim Burton Wedding!

I love tim burton movies & i want to have a reception with his style a crazy cake, red & black for colors. i'm not surabout attire for the wedding party i'm thinking maybe for the groomsmen johnny depps charlie and the chocolate factory! any ideas????????

Re: Tim Burton Wedding!

• Options
    I personally think that a little "theme" goes a long way. I would stick to details, such as the cake, table numbers, small decorations. You are going costumey IMO and I would guess it's going to cost you.
  • Options
    I wouldn't put the wedding party in costumes.  Do regular black tuxes and the girls can wear black dresses or red dresses, then bring out the details in your cake, cake topper, centerpieces, and flowers.  It's a wedding, not a theme party and not Halloween so don't go overboard.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ditto pps.  There's a fine line between including something you like and having your wedding turn into a parody.A little theme goes a long, long way when it comes to weddings.Crazy style cake=goodred and black color scheme=goodWP in costumes=/=good
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    My friend had a Nightmare Before Christmas theme wedding last year. They got married on Halloween and did a DW in New Orleans. They did a crazy cake (it was AMAZING and definitely was the centerpiece for the entire reception, it def helped tie their theme into the event) and had little details here and there but they did not put anyone in costume (he wore a tux, she wore Vera Wang). It's really your decision how far you take your theme but my suggestion is to keep the attire for the attendants more on the traditional side. If you like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory then perhaps give away personalized chocolate bars as favors...put a golden ticket under someone's plate (or tape to their chair) for a special gift...have a candy bar with all sorts of crazy candies...instead of flowers, create candy centerpieces...
  • Options
    Can you not incorporate touches of your theme subtly i.e. Cufflinks, quirky boutonnière's, socks, shoes/bouquets, hair decorations etc that way the WP won't feel like they are in fancy dress.
  • Options
    When I think Tim Burton I think more Nightmare before Christmas I beleive that was like his "masterpeice" Id spend a fortune on the cake and save by no costumes. Have everything be dark possibly use red or green uplighting, have your table numbers be names of movies with like pictures from each movie as the table number on the table. Centerpeices could be dried flowers (they sell them at michaels) with like glowing lights underneath. You could make this really amazing
  • Options
    Like PPs said, a little goes a long way. A theme can be classy and whimsical if you use it sparingly, and it can also turn your wedding into a tacky-looking joke if you take it too far. Here's a wedding that came to mind that you might want to check out. She incorporated Charlie and the Chocolate Factory into the candy buffet, and she used bright colors for her decor. The wire boutonnieres remind me of Tim Burton's work movies as well: http://community.theknot.com/cs/ks/user/default.aspx?username=AntiBridezilla&NestProfile=0PLEASE don't subject your wedding party to costumes. It's going to make them look and feel ridiculous, and I'd laugh my butt off as a guest if I went to a wedding like this. Plus, your FI should be the one picking out the groomsmen's attire, not you - you handle the bridesmaids. Maybe you could do black dresses with colorful sashes for the bridesmaids. Black dresses with deep red roses would look awesome - it'd tie in the theme but still keep it classy and sophisticated. Or maybe red dresses with black lace overlay or black lace shawls to mimic spiderwebs, as a subtle nod to The Nightmare Before Christmas. You want to keep things classy, because the stuff you like at age 20 probably isn't going to be the same as the stuff you'll like as an older adult.
  • Options
    Please do not dress your WP up in costumes.  They are your friends, not your props. While I recognize the talent of Tim Burton, some people find his work to be pretty creepy.  I'd go for incorporation of subtle themes and not an all-out Tim Burtonpalooza. But that's just me.  I am from the camp that thinks a wedding shouldn't be a circus.
  • Options
    Here's an example of what I meant regarding red dresses with black lace overlay: http://www.josereyesphotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/095.jpgPurple dresses, or smokey blue dresses, with black lace overlay would also be nice.
  • Options
    OMG I've just looked at that link, her hair was amazing!!!!!
  • Options
    What i was looking for was some ideas! not opinions on the whole thing! i never planned on putting my wedding party in costumes the guys will wear something liek charlie and the chocolate factory long jacket skinny pants maybe even the hat & my whole wedding party loves the idea they dont feel like they are in a circus! & me and my fiance are deciding and picking everything together EVEN THE groomsmens attire! & i realize ten years from now if i could do my wedding again i might no do one like this but its' not ten years from now i am 20 and i have loved tim burton & his kind of style as along as i can remember! i'm not the type of person who does things "THE WAY THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DONE" i usually go the exact oppoiste of that. i never planned on the big fancy princess white wedding! it's just not me! SORRY! { please dont judge me ]
  • Options
    I don't think anyone was judging you, persay, just giving their opinion, as you requested.  If you're looking for "yes men" then maybe you should stick to asking your bridal party.  When you post on these boards, you open yourself up to both positive and negative feedback.  If you don't want the negative feedback, don't post.  Good luck
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
  • Options
    LIKE I SAID i asked for ideas! NOT Opinions!
  • Options
    You should try offbeatbride.com. Also there is a Gothic board on here where people are having Halloween, Day of the Dead and Tim Burton inspired weddings. Come on over. Dani, I'm sorry for pimping my board on yours. I just thought it would help her.
  • Options
    Here's an idea:  post privately if you don't want other people's opinion.
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
  • Options
    LIKE I SAID i asked for ideas! NOT Opinions! These are open boards and people are free to post whatever they like as long as it follows the knot's rules.If you don't like it then don't post on a public, international message board.
  • Options
    I think a lot of people gave you some great ideas that you failed to appreciate while you were focusing on the opinions that you didn't like. JMO.
  • Options
    LOL thank you all very much ! hope your weddings turn out great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards