April 2013 Weddings

Dress Decisions

So I swore up and down that I wasn't going to make a big deal about the dress. So as soon as I was engaged I made a spur of the moment decision to go shopping and bought the second dress I tried on.  It's pretty, its simple, it didn't cost much which at the time was my main objective.

So NOW I'm having second thoughts on my dress.  Instead of just going cheaper, I wish I would have allowed myself to try a few different styles on and gave myself more room money wise to pick something more elegant.  And now I've made the mistake of trying on other dresses and of course liking them better then the original dress. I keep thinking of how I just want him to think 'wow' when he sees me the first time and I'm not sure that the dress I got is much of a wow dress.

As much as I love the 'wow' dress, our location isn't as formal or grand so I worry it will look out of place. Or does setting really matter?

I know I'm overthinking this and putting way more thought into something as simple as a dress but I just can't decide. Any other dress remorse girls out there?  Did you get a new dress and if so was it worth it?! 

February Siggy Challenge - Bridesmaid Dresses - April 2013 Board

No bridesmaids, just my flower girl

Re: Dress Decisions

• Can you wow it up with some accessories or a sash? Do you have a picture?

Follow Me on Pinterest

• joheryljoheryl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012
    I got a new dress.  I am 100% happier with it.  Financially it wasn't a smart decision since I am still trying to sell the first dress I bought.  I immediately had dress regret after my first dress and tried to talk myself into that it was "good enough".  Three months later I had bought a new dress and no regrets, I get all giddy inside when I think about wearing it.

My reasoning was I wasn't entirely happy with the first dress and I would hate to be looking at our wedding pictures and thinking that I didn't love the dress I was wearing.  

• I has rouching in the middle edged by a small lace trim that then goes down the back.  When I ordred it. I ordered it with no train because at the time my goal was simple, easy to wear, not expensive.  It's pretty but I was really hoping to find something in a champagne or at least a nice creamy ivory.  The dress color is called 'ivory' but you would never know it wasn't white.  I had thought about adding chiffon straps to it and maybe seeing if they could change the chiffon rouching in the middle to a champagne or latte chiffon to give it a little more color but its hard to picture it.

• February Siggy Challenge - Bridesmaid Dresses - April 2013 Board

• Could you add some beading or something to the rouching part? You could do champagne beads to give it color.

If you don't love the dress, get another one (if it is budget). BUT have you asked if it is even possible to get a new dress in time for the wedding? I would check first before you completely write off the first one.

For what it is worth, I do think your dress is really pretty. Also, I don't think that a more elegant dress would be out of place. The only thing I can think of that might look funny is if you were having a beachy/outdoor wedding and you went with this super elaborate ballgown. If that makes sense lol. Just close your eyes, clear your mind and imagine your wedding day - what do you picture yourself in? good luck.
  • First, I love your dress! I think it is classy and timeless. 

What if you added a broach in between the lace? You could find one on Etsy.  Also, if you wanted to add a little "poof" you could get a mermaid slip.  You could also make the neckline into a sweetheart. These are all suggestions, but I do love it they way it is!

• Have you gone on the David's Bridal website and looked at the reviewer's comments?  Sometimes people post pix of themselves in the dress and you can see how they altered it.  I just looked it up and found a girl put straps on hers.  Just an idea :-)  I would totally bling it up with some accessories and ROCK IT!  It's beautiful because it is so simple and flattering on your figure.  I agree with PP, see if you can get another dress in time if you do decide to change your mind.  What is your venue, anyway?  Outdoors or indoors?
  • edited November 2012
    Hahahah that's my dress too!!! So no, don't change it, I love it!! I got in on purpose because it is classic, flowy, pretty, yet not too overdone- I got in ivory as well, but mine has the train. I am blinging the dress up with a pretty veil that has some crystals, a blingy necklace and earrings. And bright orange shoes and a pretty bouquet ;) Everyone I've shown it to loves it, and since so many people have had it according to David's Bridal website, it's popular! I'd say keep it, but I am biased...  I put an A-line slip with it so it is poofier as well. And I know my FI will be wowed. Yours will be too if you keep it, because it's pretty and you'll just look awesome on the day of in whatever you are wearing!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks ladies I really really appreciate all the suggestions!  I keep going back and forth.

I can still get a new dress, IF I order it in the next week or two.  I wasn't planning on wearing a veil but I think if I do keep the dress that would help since I made the decision to hack off the train - lol. 

I agree the crinoline would give it a fuller feel and looks nice but I purposely didn't want crinoline as I didn't want any kind of ballgown or poofy feel at all.  Not that this gown is really poofy even with a crinoline.  It's just that I'm not a twenty something bride and I already have a child so the white ballgown just never seemed appropriate. I liked the flowyness of the chiffon but the more I think about it the more it just seems not as sleek and elegant as what I am thinking now.  I never once considered a mermaid/trumpet gown when I originally looked because I got some hips!  I thought that style would look terrible on me, however that's what I have fallen in love with now and that sleeker silhouette is a lot more of what I would prefer.

Ha orangehills thanks for the encouragement!  I've run into a few dress twins and I know why people fall in love with it!  You WILL be gorgeous in it, lets see if I can get to the point where I feel that good in it too! :-)

• Well whatever you decide, go with your gut, it is your wedding day and you want to feel amazing and be happy with your dress! If that means buying a new one- do it. I'd say tell yourself that you are going to buy a new dress over the weekend- and then see how you feel. If that is what makes you happy, then go with the new dress! But I don't think if you have poof that anyone would think anything about it. The ALine gives it just a bit more of a glamour look to it. And if you want something like a train, maybe get a cathedral length veil- those are very pretty and can easily be part of a more casual wedding, and for a bride with a child ;) Just do what you want and not what you think anyone else will think!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh and lch0708 - venue is at a ballpark (finace is a huge baseball fan so this was to appease him).  Sounds a bit strange I know but the ceremony is in a room on the top floor of the ballpark that is all glass and over looks the river.  If the weather is nice we will have it open air as the large glass doors can be opened on one side.

The reception is in same location but in the ballroom that is attached to the ballpark.  Ballroom and room we are getting married in are all very nice but it is still at a ballpark so its not The Plaza. :-)

• That's awesome!!  I'm getting married in my parents back yard, sort of, lol.  I'm sure it'll be AWESOME!
  • Christine9866Christine9866 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012
    First off the dress is beautiful!!! But I would say if your gut is telling you to get another dress, and you still are uneasy about that first dress get another one! If you decide to stay with the dress, stop shopping! I think you should go on and try on the dress again maybe get your hair and makeup done, "jack" it up with accessories and see how you feel. Did you maybe think about wearing two dresses? Having that one be for the ceremony and getting a more fitted mermaid style for the reception?
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I know how you feel! I got my dress feels like forever ago. and never had a "omg this is the dress squee!!111" moment... almost a year or so later i still question it.. But looking at like Davids Bridal nothing I see interests me. (probably becuase im not girly & hate clothes) I agree with above statements about playing up the accessories. Your venue sounds laid back and casual so I think that the dress will match beautifully. good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards