Chinese Weddings

Lion Dance?

Hi ladies, newbie here. :)FI and I are starting to delve deeper into our wedding planning. Even though our wedding will be for the most part a Western affair, we are incorporating some Chinese elements (FI's chinese, I'm caucasian) that he would enjoy. The biggest one he has talked about is having the lion dance he's even said 'I don't care about any of the other stuff, as long as I get a lion dance!' lol. For those of you who had a lion dance at your reception/wedding, how was it? What did your guests think? I personally think they're great and want one there too. I guess I'd just like to hear some stories before we commit to getting a performance booked.Also, if anyone knows where we are able to book one around Austin, TX it would be much appreciated. :)

Re: Lion Dance?

• edited December 2011
    I suggested a lion dance to my fiance and he said I was being ignorant because those dances have nothing to do with weddings. And then my maid of honor said basically the same thing to me. I felt so ganged up on, that I stopped talking about the wedding for weeks.Now that I have read this, I want to shove it in his face, but I guess maybe I should just let him have his way and never bring it up again.I just think it would be so exciting. :(
    imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    hi! i'm in philadelphia- try this site to see if there's a group in Austin. www.geocitites.com/lionscave1/Alpha.html  
  • hyacinth83hyacinth83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can anyone recommend a troupe in nyc that they've used or seen?  I'm concerned about the quality of the costumes since a lot of them always seem so old and even sometimes damaged instead of the bright pretty ones posted by Ms Toucan.  Seems like a small thing but when you spend so much money to make sure everything else is nice, you don't want this element to seem cheap especially when it's reflecting your culture.
  • StuffingStuffing member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Of course! I highly recommend the one I had for my wedding. Their lions are pretty new, just got one a few months ago in time for my wedding ;) You can check them out at: http://yipsdragonstylekungfu.com/In the multimedia section, March 2009 they have pictures for a lion dance in Washington Square Park area, and 2007 they have a wedding lion dance video.I haven't seen any of the other groups do lion dance of the wedding, so I can't comment on them.Contact information is: info@yipsdragonstylekungfu.comHope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards