Jewish Weddings

Mostly Jewish Wedding -- newbie

Hi everyone, I just found this board and I am excited about that! My name is Lynnie and my FI, Andy and I are planning a "mostly jewish" wedding in Lake George on October 16, 2010. I was born and raised conservative, went to a Schecter day school and a jewish camp! FI is of methodist background and is not observant. In fact, he has been interested in Judaism and we have celebrated a number of holidays together already. We've found a great interfaith rabbi (Aryeh Alpern in Saratoga) and are excited about this part of the planning, too. We do plan to have a Ketubah, etc, and luckily our rabbi is OK with our choice of signers (one is a non-jew). I realize that some people may not be OK with this, but it is what is working for us, and we appreciate an open mind. If this board isnt the one where I should post, please let me know. I look forward to meeting all of you! lynnie
http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Mostly Jewish Wedding -- newbie

• tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome. Yes, you should post here! :-) There's a wide range of people who post and answer questions here. I fall at one ene of the sprectrum as someone who is culturally Jewish but not practicing (and married to a man who isn't Jewish) while others are Orthodox on the other end. And of course, everyone in between, including at least a couple who have converted to Judaism. It makes for some very interesting answers sometimes when we all talk about "norms" for Jewish weddings and find that they can be very different depending on what kind of Judaism you practice (or don't practice) and what part of the country you're from. It's been pretty eye-opening for me, at least.
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm Reform and a convert, my FI is not Jewish, we're a same-sex couple, I built our chuppah from the frame of a portable gazebo, our ceremony includes declarations and vows from the Church of England ceremony, and we're having everyone at the ceremony (Jewish, nonJewish, either gender) sign the ketubah.  And no one has ever suggested I don't "belong" here.  So welcome!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome! My sister and her hubby were married in Saratoga Springs last year in the fall and wow that area is gorgeous during that time of year!! I went to Schecter day school as well, but I went to the one in Queens. Happy planning!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in the process of conversion, and we're having a big fat Jewish/Italian wedding.  (ceremony will be Jewish though) This board has been so helpful with me, because I've had so many questions.  And I've been passing along the info to my non-Jewish family so that they won't be confused about how the ceremony works.welcome to the board :-)
  • edited December 2011
    Of course you are welcome here!!!  congrats! I'm in a somewhat similar situation as you.  I was raised reform and FI was raised Catholic, but he is completely non practicing now.  We are getting married by a Rabbi (which was difficult to find).  We are having a Jewish ceremony (no catholicism involved at all), and FI has agreed to raise our future children Jewish. I hear you about having an open mind.  We have had some issues along the way, but I'm confident in our decision.  Although FI does not want to convert (still hoping someday), he is fine with our Jewish traditions, as i feel more culturally Jewish than religious.  I feel like i will become a little more religious again though once we have children. Any questions, ask away!  I've probably had to deal with some things that you might encounter as well!  This is a definitely a great board to interact on.
  • edited December 2011
    Of course, you're welcome here.  I'm Jewish, as is my DH, and we had a Conservative Jewish wedding and are relatively observant, although not as observant as some other ladies on here.  On the whole, this has been a terrific forum; one I keep coming back to even though we got married six months ago.  There are great ladies on this board - intelligent, educated and interesting, and I am happy to welcome you among them!
  • ShoshieShoshie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board!We had a Traditional service in a Reform synagogue with modern and traditional elements (witnesses for the rings, but we circled each other). Feel free to ask any question and someone on here should be able to help! :)
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome. As your FI isn't Jewish (yet), the ketubah you choose won't have certain language, as portions of the ketubah can only be between Jewish spouses.  Considering that, it shouldn't matter is one of your signers is a non-Jew.  At the end of the day, it's one more aspect of your day and I hope you have a great time planning. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards