Maine

Does this seem too morbid for a wedding?

I kind of want to put pictures out of people who have passed on display. They'd probably be on display on the same table where place cards would be. All of my grandparents had passed by the time I was 20 & my FI has only one grandmother who passed away about 3 years ago. Do you think it'd be too morbid to put pictures on display of people who couldn't be there with us?? I went to a wedding where they had a little "shout out" to people who had passed on the back of their programs, but I'm not doing programs since my ceremony will be super simple. I do want to acknowledge my mom's parents because they helped out a lot when I was growing up... it's something that's important to me. If that does seem morbid, does anybody have any suggestions how to go about doing this?

Re: Does this seem too morbid for a wedding?

• edited December 2011
    I hope it's not morbid because that's what I'm doing. I'm not sure what table it will be on, but I'm getting one of those memorial vases from oriental trading co. and putting in 6 roses (one for every person that passed) and putting pictures of those people next to the vase. I don't think it's morbid at all.
  • edited December 2011
    We're having a "memory table" with all kinds of pictures of our grandparents, both living and deceased. We're using their wedding photos so it doesn't look entirely like we're just trying to draw attention to the fact that they arent' there, but I think a lot of people do just that, put pictures on a table with candles and a sign that says in memory or something like that. Totally acceptable.
  • edited December 2011
    We had somewhat of a "heritage" table and it was pictures of our parents at their wedding and wedding pictures of our grandparents. 
    Planning bio My DIY blog The Maine Bio

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Jaime has read 18 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide
  • edited December 2011
    I've seen memory tables and heritage tables in the past and have always thought they were a nice gesture.  I actually like them better than mentioning family members who have passed on in the program.  I figure if the bride and groom are mentioning these people, then they were important and pictures/mementos provide me with a better idea of who these important people were.  :-)
  • edited December 2011
    I think a memorial table is a great idea. I have been to many weddings where they are there, and it is a very nice gesture. Not morbid at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    The only way it would be morbid is if you had those photos on every table, all over the place, etc. Then it would take over the celebration that is your happy day. :-)We're doing a couple things. We were going to do a photo of FI's dad who passed back in 1997, anyhow, as well as a photo of one set of my grandparents who passed in the last few years. (My other set is alive and well and will attend). But then, my FI's sister passed unexpectedly in February, so we're now including her photo as well. We are going to put the photos in a niche or on the same table as the guest book.  In addition, we have a small "In Memoriam" section in our programs that says simply "As we build a future together, we honour our past." and lists the names and years (ex. Gloria Cote 1978-2009) of our past family members. Lastly, because FI's sister was supposed to be one of my bride's maid's (she died the Wednesday after we went shopping for dresses, in fact), we are including a lavender ribbon on the bridal bouquets to honour her role as a BM (lavender was her favourite colour), and we have an explanation of it in the program in the back. It says simply "The lavender ribbon of the bridal party's bouquets honors the place of Wayne's sister Gloria as one of my bride's maids."Hope that helps! Normal 0 0 1 17 102 1 1 125 11.1282 0 0 0
    "Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky." -- Ranier Maria Rilke BabyFruit Ticker image Me:37 MH:38 TTC since Oct 2011 BFP/Beta#1: 13 6/20/12; Beta#2: 20 6/22/12; MC/Beta#3: 9 6/27/12 BFP#2/Beta#1: 9/21/12 S/PAIFW
  • edited December 2011
    I too am going to have pictures on a table with a Memorial Vase for my cousin who passed away in June and my FI Mom who passed last summer. In addition I am also goingto have a bouquet charm made on Etsy with my cousins photo so he is with me a I walk down the aisle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards