Colorado-Denver

Marriage License

Can anyone help me with some of my questions? 1. where do we go for our marriage license? County Courthouse? (does it have to be in the county that we are getting married i (Grand Co.) or can it be the one we live in? (Denver Co.) 2. Do we sign when we pick it up or can we wait to sign it until our ceremony (we were wanting to sign it during our ceremony if possible) 3. Silly question I know...but do you sign your maiden name or your new married name? (I'm assuming your maiden name?) 4. What do we need to bring with us? Driver's license, birth certificates, passports...will any of those do? Thanks ladies!!! You are always so helpful!
no identifiable siggy pictures anymore, thanks a lot stupid nest!

Re: Marriage License

• chelbell326chelbell326 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh, & how long before our ceremony do we need to get it? I think I remember someone saying 1 month before? Does that sound correct?
  • edited December 2011
    We just got ours last week and went to the County Clerk's Office. You can use it anywhere in the state and have 30 days to do so. All we needed was our drivers licenses. You sign after the ceremony and I forget which name you use... Hope that helps!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Alora!
  • edited December 2011
    I always believed you sign your maiden name....because you haven't changed your name yet.  Maybe i'm wrong.   We need a married knotties advice here! I am also confused!Also, when you do sign it after the ceremony, you mail it off again?  and then they send you an offical one??? I'm confused with what you do with it after the ceremony.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You can get your license anywhere in Colorado and use it the day you get it for up to 30 days. You need a government issued picture id, and some cash (it just went up recently and I'm not familiar with the current amount). You sign it the day you get married with your new name. The judge that married us mailed it off for us, but if you don't have someone doing that, it needs to go back to the County Clerk's Office.
  • edited December 2011
    It cost us $30 and we were offered the option of either bringing it back in after the wedding/honeymoon and getting a certified copy right there OR mailing it back in right after the wedding and getting your certified copy via mail about 3 weeks later. I'm pretty sure anyway....
  • edited December 2011
    you have to have the cerified copy to go change your name right?
    imageimage
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has questions about this :) I've got a few weeks to get it all figured out! LOL
  • edited December 2011
    I thought I would just ask when we went in, but thanks for the post...it helped me too!
    imageimage
  • LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since you're having an officiant, the county clerk will leave the bottom part of the license blank for him/her to sign later, along with you, FI, and two witnesses.  They gave me an addressed envelope to use to return it right after the ceremony.  Our officiant included the signing into our ceremony, and it was a very nice touch.  He also mailed it back to the county clerk for us, after making copies for his records.  We had the original certificate back by the end of the week - this is what you take to either DMV or SS to get the name change started.  Any county is fine, and it's $30 cash.  You can get certified copies afterwards too, either in person or by mail.  I got a few of these to send off with certain name change requests that required official proof.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Leslie - that was SUPER helpful! Thanks!!! :)
  • LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks.  glad I could help. 
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • HBookmanHBookman member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just wanted to add that when we got ours last week, the lady at the clerk's office said I could sign it with either my maiden or new name, so either should be fine. I went with maiden since I still want to practice the new one a little bit before I start using it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards