California-Northern

East Coast Girl Getting Married in Cali! Help!

Help is really needed! I'm from New England but would like to get married in California since I don't have a lot of family and all of my fiance's family lives in and around Hayward. Can you please recommend a reception and/or ceremony site around there!? I wouldn't want anything further than 1.5 hours away. I'm guessig no more than 80 guests and the cheaper the better. By the way...does that area have a name that would make it easier for me to call it by? Also, I'm thinking of setting the date in the month of February...what's the whether like over there during that time?

Re: East Coast Girl Getting Married in Cali! Help!

• edited December 2011
    Try looking in Livermore - they have some really pretty vineyards... or country clubs or golf clubs in the area.
  • sm23sm23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you give a little more information about the type of venue you want - outdoor or indoor? Church, garden, country club, museum, beach, community center? Any particular features that are important to you as far as what the venue offers, the kind of view, etc.?The Hayward area doesn't really have a name unfortunately. Within 1 1/2 hours, you have access to pretty much the entire Bay Area, including San Francisco. You're also within 1 1/2 hours away to Napa, Sacramento, Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz area, and Monterey. You have TONS of possibilities.
  • edited December 2011
    The month of February in Northern California can be unpredictable.  We can have sunny but chilly weather, or gloomy rain weather.  My suggestion is when you are choosing your places keep in mind inside capabilities for problematic weather.And try doing online searches in each of the cities..ie san francisco wedding locations, livermore wedding locations, sacramento wedding locations....you'd be surprise how many wedding websites there are for local vendors.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for your advice! It's a big help since I don't really know that good cities around the area. As far as what type of wedding...I would like somewhere that I could have the ceremony outside and then possibly the reception inside or a place with great views from inside, like an all glass room - ocean or land is fine with me. Some place romantic and quite would be ideal. No church is needed.
  • Beezo23Beezo23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    PP have about summed the suggestions, but wanted to say hello from a fellow New Englander!  I live in CA now and have for 5 years....weather in CA is MUCH better in February then in New England....heh.  GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I may be biased because its where im getting married, but the Brazillan Room at Tilden Park in Berkeley, Ca.InexpensiveOutdoor CeremonyIndoor ReceptionAbout 20 Minutes from hayward
  • edited December 2011
    I live in Hayward and we are getting married at Sunol Valley Golf Club in Sunol and it's about 30 minutes away. They offer both indoor and outdoor ceremonies and its about $30-$40 per person. The people there are great but again I'm biased as well. HTH! P.S. weather in February is pretty mild out here.
  • sm23sm23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was going to recommend the Brazilian Room as well. Though, please know that it books up really fast - about 18 months in advance. So if you want to do it there, look into it quickly, and be flexible in terms of the date/day (Saturday weddings may all be booked up but if you're willing to do it on a Sunday, Friday or other weekday, you should be ok). They also make you pick a caterer from their list but I don't think that's a huge deal. If it rains, you're going to have to do the ceremony inside though the building is cute inside, has nice wood beams and a huge fireplace. Also be aware that there's a road down the hill from the Brazilian Room and sometimes you can hear a bit of traffic.Other places to check out: Wildwood Acres in Lafayette, Shadelands Ranch in Walnut Creek, Dunsmuir Estate in Oakland, Lake Temescal Beach House in Oakland, Hacienda de las Floras in Moraga, Preservation Park in Oakland, Heather Farms in Walnut Creek, and the UC Berkeley Botanical Garden.Herecomestheguide.com is a great resource to start your research with.Good luck in your search!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much! All your suggestions are just what I was looking for! I don't feel totally lost right now! I look forward to keeping up with you all :)
  • Beezo23Beezo23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Interesting.... when you click on 'Tango19,' it says she's been married since 9/6/2006.....hmmmm.
  • edited December 2011
    Haha - I've had an account since my sister was married! I'll make sure to change it once we set a date!
  • edited December 2011
    For a larger budget, check out Palm Event Center in Pleasanton.  You can get married outside in front of the rows of grapevines in the vineyard or inside the barrel room, and then there is a huge indoor reception area.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, I don't have a ceremony/reception site but I do have a great wedding hair & makeup person that is affordable. The website is: www.BeautifyU.com They serve all of northern california! They will come to you on your big day! They even come to you for the trial also!
  • HendersonLHendersonL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Tango! I'm getting married out of state too, but I'm here in California and getting married in Ohio. We did entertain the idea of a bay area wedding on a small budget, so here are my suggestions and most of these can be found on HereComesTheGuide.com, like others have suggested.1. The Brazilian Room- Berkeley, CA. Others have already suggested it, but that's because it's a wonderful place to get married outdoors or in. It's amazingly affordable as well, because it's a part of parks and rec. 2. Elliston Vineyards- Sunol, CA. Affordable for what it's worth. Elliston has a big beautiful stone work home, which makes me feel like I am getting married in the English countryside. They have indoor/outdoor options. Really pretty.3. Scott's Garden- Walnut Creek, CA. This is an inclusive set up run by Scott's Seafood. It's very affordable and a unique setting where you feel like you're outside, but you're really not. You can find a lot of lovely photos of this place online.4. UC Botanical Garden- Berkeley, CA. There is a small ampitheater here, where you can get married under the redwoods. There are indoor options as well. Many of the properties owned by UC Berkeley are affordable. Lastly,5. Stern Grove- San Francisco, CA. I just discovered this park while looking at photos of someone else's wedding. This is a strictly outdoor wedding site, but it's really amazing. You can see photos from a recent wedding here http://www.flickr.com/photos/takeitez/3729311124/in/set-72157620758148398/Here are some others I will let you search for on your own.Camron-Stanford House- Oakland, CA.Bellevue Club- Oakland, CAThe Faculty Club- Berkeley, CAGaia Art's Center- Berkeley, CARockefeller Lodge- San Pablo, CA (as a note, this place is very cute, but the neighborhood is not as cute)The Northern California area is full of many different venues and the weather is wonderful here most of the time, so I know you will find something wonderful and within your budget. February is still a little cold and can be quite rainy. The best months for getting married outdoors might be may-october, but you might want to search weather history. If you have any more questions, I would love to help.Lot's of luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much HendersonL for your detailed response! It's great! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards