Delaware

Wilmington Hotels...help!

Hi! I'm from the Media, PA area...but getting married at Winterthur museum! We need to block off rooms for our out of town guests, but I'm not sure which hotel would be best. I know the mendenhall is right down the street. But i am looking for something more in the heart of town. Hoping after the reception is over and our friends and family return to the hotel we want options for a place to continue the fun, nearby bars etc that we could walk to. I know there must be something in wilmington, but i'm unfamiliar with the area. Any suggestions appreciated!!

Re: Wilmington Hotels...help!

• Spring2009Spring2009 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Sheraton was great with us. You need to stay on top of them though. We organized an afterparty and they even created menus for us, that were super cute. The execution of it wasn't the best but they were still accommodating.
  • edited December 2011
    There is also the Doubletree, both downtown and on 202- the one on 202 is very nice, very accomodating.  Also on 202 is Courtyard by Marriott, which is always very lovely, I think.  While the two on 202 are not directly in the city, unfortunately, you aren't going to come across many directly in the city- the Doubletree (which sometimes is considered not in the greatest section of town), the Sheraton, and the Hotel DuPont (which I have heard is gorgeous, but can be very difficult to work with for blocks of rooms).  Luckily, though, 202 is very, very close to the city, so I highly recommend you check those out.

GL!
  • edited December 2011
    The Doubletree and Mariott on 202 that MsBriar mentioned aren't near bars/clubs, but there are a lot of restaurants nearby if you wanted to just grab a drink or food with a smaller group of people.  If you're not planning on providing transportation, you could also plan on just grabbing a taxi into the city part if need be.  A taxi shouldn't cost too much.
  • Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are looking for night life afterwards, you might want to look in Newark.  There are several hotels and places to go at night depending on what you are looking for.  I would see if any other hotels in the area would offer a shuttle to and from Trolley Square/ Wilmington if you book s large amount of rooms.
  • edited December 2011
    Great hotels downtown include: Hotel DuPont and Marriott Courtyard and if you have guests stay there the Hotel DuPont has a bar on site and the Washington Street Ale House (great place) is within walking distance. I had my guests stay at the Doubletree which is on Rt. 202 and not downtown, but they have a great bar in the hotel where we all hung out after the wedding. Downtown Wilmington pretty much shuts down after 5PM during the week and is pretty dead on the weekends, just something to keep in mind for guests who are coming into town. The Doubletree is next to the Concord Mall, lots of restaurants and parks. They also gave me a great rate of $99/night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards