Just Engaged and Proposals

Help a guy out! Does this seem too simple?

Hi!  I'm a love-sick guy getting ready to ask one of the most important questions I'll ever have to ask!Before I get into how I'm thinking I'll propose a few details...Through subtle and not so subtle hints my girlfriend has dropped I've figured out a short list of things she probably doesn't want in a proposal.The list includes not doing it in public, not putting the ring in food and not having it be too simple.  On the simple front I'm a little bit confused.  The best example I could get out of her was if we were just sitting on the couch and I suddenly got down on one knee.Other quick detail.  Her older sister is getting married in October.  I'd like to propose tomorrow but I can wait until after that wedding so nobody has their thunder stolen.So by late October the area around my apartment complex should be full of beautiful fall colors.  I have miles of wooded trails around my apartment that we both really love to take short hikes on.   The trail we like to take runs a big loop around my apartment area and part of it passes this really nice pond that has a small picnic area next to it. This picnic area is important to me because it was the place where I was first sure I was going to ask this girl to marry me.My idea is to get her to go for a walk with me, eventually ending up at this picnic area.  When we get there I plan to have a row of pumpkins set up on a picnic table carved out to read "Will you Marry Me?"  October is her favorite month, her birthday is in it and she loves the fall.  I figure since I will be proposing very near to Halloween this could be a unique way to do it.  Anyways she'll see the pumpkins and then I'll get down on one knee and give my speech and ask her to marry me.  I figure I can recruit a friend to help me get it all set up the day of...Does this seem to simple?  Too cheesy?  Are thinking 'Carved pumpkins!?  What the hell?!'I'm also kicking around either hiring a photographer to do surprise engagement photos or having a surprise dinner set up with our families who we're both very close to.Anyways let me know what you think but be gentle!  I still have a few months to come up with something else but I really think she'd like this.

Re: Help a guy out! Does this seem too simple?

• AtownLuvsTXAtownLuvsTX member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that's super sweet! Another thing you could do is carve it into a tree...I just had one of my friends get proposed to almost exactly like that. Good thing is nobody will steal the tree and unless a very large beaver comes around it won't be going anywhere. And definately get someone to photograph the proposal, but maybe hold off on the actual engagement pictures because who knows what she might be wearing that day or whatever...my fiance got one of my sorority sisters in on his proposal to take pictures and I'm SO SO SO glad he did.Good luck, you'll do great!
  • edited December 2011
    Aww goosebumps!!! I love it
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I think your idea is so great, I also like the idea of maybe after your walk having a big family dinner.  My FI proposed on New Years Eve at dinner but the second best part to getting engaged was getting to celebrate right after with all my friends at a New Years Eve party.  Also keep this in mind whatever you do she is going to love, because it is a special moment between you two. GL!
  • edited December 2011
    It sounds like a good idea my only concern and this is from my point of view so it might not be your girlfriend's point of view but I wouldn't want a family dinner right afterward. Maybe that is something the two of you could plan together after you propose. I think it should be a day spent just the two of you especially if she said she didn't want you to propose around other people.
  • Attitude40784Attitude40784 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it is a really cute idea.Keep us updated and let us know how it went.
  • jacilyn11jacilyn11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally I think this sounds super cute! I love the month of October, and fall in general, so I think you should get ahold of my boyfriend and give him this idea. I think she will love it from what you have said about her so far! Good luck to you! I am sure she will be excited no matter how you do it!
  • edited December 2011
    My fiance proposed at the end of family photos we were doing on the beach. I can't stress how amazing and awesome it is that I have photos that captured one of the happiest moments of my life! Definitely a good idea to have a photographer there! I think that you know your gf and whether a dinner to celebrate is appropriate for your relationship. Great idea! So sweet and romantic!
  • edited December 2011
    i don't think it's cheesy at all! You have put thought into it and showing her how much you love her and want to marry her is the most important thing... she seems like a very lucky girl! Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I like it a lot, but I also don't think you should wait due to her sister's wedding.  What if her bff gets engaged right after?  Or someone else?
    No amount of education could convince Betty to be nice to possums
  • edited December 2011
    I totally vote for having someone there taking pictures of the whole thing.  I PROMISE that you will love having them, and it will be so much more fun for her to tell the story if she has pictures to go along.  (and that way the photographer and make sure everything is just right when you get there.)  Also, the photographer obviously needs to be out of sight.What I am about to say sounds silly but, you should have a run through the day or a days before, if you plan on having a friend/photographer there.  That is what my FI did to ensure that everything was as perfect as he had envisioned, and it was.  :)Great Idea!  Good luck!
  • muriel & edermuriel & eder member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    WOW! I like your idea, it's really sweet! Only you know your girlfriend. All I can say that sharing the news with family is very important for some of us, but maybe she will like to spend alone time with you before sharing the news. Surprise engagement pictures may not be a good idea because it all depends how the day will be. Maybe she will like to not have them taken with her wearing sweats. I do think that having a picture of "the moment" and details (how your pumpkins look like, dinner, etc) is a great idea though. You could ask your friend to be ready with the camera. It is nice to look at "the moment" from a different view. By the way, if you think that it is extremely important for her and/or her family, DON'T FORGET TO ASK FOR THE BLESSING BEFORE HAND. It sounds like your proposal will be an unforgettable moment. Do give your personal touch, like mentioning how that place was where all of it started. I hope everything goes as planned, but keep in mind that things always happen, and even if things are completely different, I'm sure you'll both enjoy it. With such a proposal I'm sure she'll say "YES!", so I wish you both a happy wedding planning!
    "A wedding is a day . . . A MARRIAGE IS A LIFETIME" --- What is LOVE? 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8 (the real meaning of love) Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers EDD:09.13.12 m/c:02.19.12 @ 10w3d Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • akhunter1akhunter1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it is a very sweet idea, I would have a friend or someone come and set up the pumpkins and then maybe take some pictures afterward, but not exactly be there while you proposing.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards