Michigan-Grand Rapids
Options

Any suggestions on a ceremony site

Wedding in February, about 200 guests. Any ideas would be appreciative. Thank you.

Re: Any suggestions on a ceremony site

• Options
    shrades77shrades77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you want a place that is not a church?
    **Rachel & Andy - 9.6.09**

Vendor Reviews l Pro Pic Preview image

• Options
    edited December 2011
    No church...somewhere with a fireplace and a real small intimate wedding...
  • Options
    AmoroAgainAmoroAgain member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure that I would consider 200 small and intimate, but to each their own.Have you thought about going further up north and hitting up one of the ski resorts there?  That could be really nice and fun.  I mean, it's winter. Embrace it, ya know? :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The reason we are doing that is bc originally we wanted to get married on an island, but my father could not make it. So, we just want a small wedding ceremony. Than we leave for our honeymoon and than were going to have a recept when we get back...We have changed our minds a few times and Im still tryng to get our destination wedding back abroad:-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Okay, well, do you want the etiquette response?  That's such a no no.  It looks gift grabby and just all out wrong.  I wouldn't do it.  "Hi, you're important enough to bring us a present, but not important enough to see us get married."
  • Options
    Spartan5Spartan5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would check out Cannonsburg!
  • Options
    Zylstra0884Zylstra0884 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Having a small, intimate ceremony is more common then you would think.  2 of the 3 weddings I have been to this year have done it this way.  Small ceremony with just immediate family and the closest friends then a huge celebration.  In my experience, most people look forward to the reception anyway and the ones that appreciate your marriage will want to celebrate it with you.  I think it's a great idea. 
  • Options
    Zylstra0884Zylstra0884 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh yeah... a location.Hire an officiant and find a gazebo at a park.  There are some great ones in Rockford on the river.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you looking for GR or Kzoo?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Grand Rapids...:-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ya know, I thought about Cannonsburg when we wanted our wedding in November, but thats a time where they don't do weddings...That would be pretty. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ZYLSTRA0884,: Your last name is actually going to be my last name in Feb...what a small world:-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Having a small, intimate ceremony is more common then you would think. 2 of the 3 weddings I have been to this year have done it this way. Small ceremony with just immediate family and the closest friends then a huge celebration. Just because it happens doesn't mean it's the correct thing to do.  Like cash bars.  It's pretty common to have one, but that doesn't mean they are acceptable.PLUSOne thing that makes this hugely different is that they're not having the big party right after- they're having it AFTER the honeymoon. Gift.Grabby.  AHR's are acceptable only when you've actually had a destination wedding.  You can't tell me that you're honestly going to have a 200 person Michigan reception weeks after your Michigan ceremony "just to celebrate".  Your wedding doesn't get a couple of months of celebration, it gets a day.  If you can't have it all that day- get over it and move on. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm also wondering if you're inviting 200 to your "small and intimate" wedding, how many you're inviting to your party later on?  And, are you even going to be providing anything to those people who do attend your wedding?  This seems like it's got hot mess written all over it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    PLUS One thing that makes this hugely different is that they're not having the big party right after- they're having it AFTER the honeymoon. Gift.Grabby. AHR's are acceptable only when you've actually had a destination wedding. You can't tell me that you're honestly going to have a 200 person Michigan reception weeks after your Michigan ceremony "just to celebrate". Your wedding doesn't get a couple of months of celebration, it gets a day. If you can't have it all that day- get over it and move on. WERE NOT GIFT GRABBY PEOPLE!!! THIS WAS SUGGESTED ALSO BY MY FAMILY...AUNTS TO B PRECISE! SO WHAT IF WE HAVE IT AFTER THE HONEYMOON AND YES, WE WILL B PROVIDING DINNER AND DRINKS ON US!!! WHO CARES HOW LONG OUR CELEBRATION WOULD BE!!! DIFFERENT CULTURES HAVE 2-3 DAY WEDDING CEREMONIES...WHY CAN'T I? WE DON'T EVEN WANT GIFTS!!! I AM NOT HAVING A BRIDAL SHOWER EITHER!!! YOU MAY NOT DO THIS BUT OTHERS WILL
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The shouting was completely unnecessary.  I'm telling you what is and isn't correct.  Obviously, you can do what you want to, but it's ridiculous.  Yes, other cultures have 2-3 day weddings, where the days are all in a row and are used for separate events.  Day 1, henna ceremony.  Day 2, signing of the marriage contract.  Day 3, perform the marriage ceremony followed by party.  See? even there it doesn't hold water.Even if you aren't asking for gifts, have you ever gone to a wedding and not brought a gift?  No, because people don't do that.  If you're not having a registry, people will give you cash.  Whether you intend it or not, the overall impression that you're going to give people is that you want them there, not for the celebration of your marriage, but for what they bring you. The implication is there. 
  • Options
    Spartan5Spartan5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She didn't ask for the correct ettiqutte regarding this (If she did she probably would have gone to the P&E board), she asked for suggestions for ceremony sites. Stop Judging her.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you:-)
  • Options
    mbear511mbear511 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Amoro here. To each their own...
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Carter5.25.10 Charlotte 2.6.12
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, Spartan, I guess it's a good thing they allow things like "opinions" on these boards. Michigangirl, you're going to do whatever you want anyway, but I refuse to validate such a tacky, horrible idea.  I'd also like to point out it seems very few people are willing to do that anyway considering the responses you've gotten towards looking for ceremony sites.
  • Options
    cdeshanecdeshane member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know this is late, but I also agree with Amoro on this. I don't know if people would want to give up 2 weekends. Especially if they have to drive a long distance in the winter. I think some people will be okay with it but in the long run I think you are going to have a lot of people RSVP and then not show. I am not trying to be rude at all but there are a lot of people that will only want to go if they get to actually celebrate with you afterwards. The AHR before DW would be completely understandable. I know people that have done that. Good luck, hopefully it all works out for you, either way. I do have to also say though I would probably not attend if I were a guest invited to this wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards