Outdoor Weddings
Options

Games?

Our ceremony and reception are going to be at the same location. I am trying to think of ways to keep our guests occupied while we take pictures and all that. What are your opinions on having lawn games like croquet, horseshoes, and bocce ball? We are having a pretty small and casual wedding so i think this will be a fun for most of our guests

Re: Games?

• Options
    I say go for it if you think people will participate! But in the off chance that they may not, have you considered the possibility of having your pictures done before the ceremony?
  • Options
    Why not do cocktail hour?
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    What time of the day is your wedding?  I think that games could work out, depending on the crowd.  I would still probably offer cocktails and apps or something during this time because that will probably be a sure thing for keeping people occupied.  If everybody knows everybody else, that would potentially make games more successful.
  • Options
    I had that idea originally because I am having an outdoor wedding/reception in the same location as well. When I mentioned it to another bride - she made me rethink it because the guests are there to celebrate you two for your wedding, not to play games. I was kind of offended at first because I thought it would be fun but I do get it. So, I am planning to do all the separate pictures (me with the bridesmaids & parents, etc) first and then after the ceremony, while we take the rest of the pictures, the guests can start with cocktails and music, etc.
  • Options
    I think the game idea is fine. You might purchase those large checker boards from Cracker Barrell as well. Just set them up and see what happens. People are going to jump in and play. If some don't want to that 's ok. Just be sure there is enough extra seats for guests to set in as needed. Plenty of water /drinks if hot. Just relax and let the games begin!
    Let the Lord Lead... and follow Him.
  • Options
    I think it would be fun! I say go for it. I wouldn't make them mandatory or too organized though - just make mention of them and leave the games available for those who are interested, and suggest to a close friend or family member to get a game going. And have cocktails available for those who would rather just relax and have a drink.
  • Options
    If its what you want do it. Period. The venue FI and I found has putt putt Golf, table tennis and checkers/chess tables. We were so excited to have a venue with so much built in fun. We feel it reflects our personalities and our relationship perfectly and are looking forward to sharing it with our guests.
  • Options
    I think it sounds fine, but just make it available and not too forced or organized. However, I would do it in addition to the cocktail hour and not a replacement. Guests will be thirsty and a little hungry and will care more about that than playing lawn croquet. The cocktail hour doesn't need to be elaborate, but if it isn't on the agenda, I would do pictures beforehand.
  • Options
    Our DD will be doing this: there is an area of yard beside the cocktail area that will have bocca ball, horseshoes, croquet, and a game used around here we call 'Ladder Ball'. The last wedding we attended had these, and guests did enjoy them. I like the checkers idea. I have one of those large sets...may have to find a spot for it. :)
  • Options
    Sounds like fun to me if that is up your guests alley. I know that alot of people we invite would like that. Anything that to keep the guests busy while you are taking your pics. I would make sure that its not for a real long time.
  • Options
    Sounds like so much fun and I love the idea! Wanted to do something similar originally until we found our venue. Another game you might want to consider is yard jenga.
  • Options
    We are definitely going to be using yard games between events. We are getting married on an old farm so we are going to be using some "old fashioned" games, along with corn hole, horseshoes, and ladder golf.  It's such a great way for the guests to mingle and start conversations.
  • Options
    My fiance and I are getting married in May. We are having everything at an outside venue and will have games along with a cocktail hour. It will be fun for everyone, especially the kids. Luckily, those games arent expensive so if no one uses them, it's alright. I dont think anyone will get bored, its a nice time to mingle and meet new people. I would def. have drinks, whether it be wine/beer or lemonade.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards