Christian Weddings

Veil or No Veil?

I didn't wear a veil for the wedding, but now I kind of wished I'd worn my mom's.  :P  I still have a set of Bridal Portraits to do and wondered - since I didn't wear one for the wedding or anything, would it be weird to get some pictures with it on?  I know if I have a few pictures with it, I'll be happy with my decision to not wear it at the wedding since Clint isn't too fond of them.  Thoughts?

Re: Veil or No Veil?

• FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I'm not wearing a veil. I'm not a veil girl at all.

That being said, I think you should take the veil to the pictures! Then you get the best of both worlds-- professional pictures of you with the veil and professional pictures with you without the veil. Seems perfect! 

Also, I don't think it's weird that you would be taking pictures with it even though you didn't wear it. Don't worry!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I wore a cathedral veil at the ceremony.  However, because it was windy on my wedding day, my photographer recommended that I not wear the veil for photos outside.  There is always the risk of it getting caught in a tree or something.  I love veils, but you always have to take into account practicality.  
  • faith415faith415 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm personally not a fan of veils, so I'm not wearing one. I think that since you already have a veil and there's sentimental attachment to it should wear it in at least a few of the pics. It sounds like you'd be happier if you had at least a few pictures with it, so you should go for it.
  • edited December 2011
    I would get a cheap veil - like the $10 ones from Hobby Lobby - and get some pictures with it and some pictures without it.

ETA:  If you already have a veil, that makes the case even stronger to wear it in at least some of your bridal portraits.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • edited December 2011
    i agree with PP....there is sentimental value to it... you should take some pics with it. (:
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!!  Part of me wishes I'd worn my mom's but when I think about WHY it's really because I just wanted a few pictures with it, ya know?  So that helps!!  And I secretly just wanted to know who all was wearing veils and who wasn't.  ;)
  • edited December 2011
    i dont think i am going to wear a veil... but i dont know. my FMIL REALLY wants me to wear one.... but i am not sure. 
  • Purple&7Purple&7 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm undecided. We're wanting to have the ceremony outside and if it's windy I don't want it flying around and hitting me in the face. I might still buy one and wear it for bridals and pictures.

I agree with PP, you should wear the veil for pictures.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with PP, wear it for pictures and you have pictures from the wedding day with one on and portraits with them off!!! Can't wait to see bridal portraits!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I never wanted a veil, but my mom saved her dress and veil in case she ever had any daughters who'd wear it. Well, I'd love to wear the dress, but it won't fit me. I don't really want a veil, but I might decide to wear hers, just to make her feel special. I haven't decided yet. 

I think it would be okay if you had some pictures with a veil. 
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought a veil on Ebay that I thought was really beautiful and simple for about $15.  I didn't wear it to cover my face.  Just in the back.  It came off soon after the ceremony was over so I didn't wear it for the reception.

• edited December 2011
    @joesgurl - GORGEOUS!!

Thanks ladies!!  I think pictures with it is smart - and then I'll LOVE that I didn't wear it for the reception.  I think I secretly just wanted to wear it for some pictures.  :)
  • edited December 2011
    I LOVE VEILS. I am obsessed with them :D I think they are absolutely beautiful. That said - I think its also beautiful when girls go without them. I would bring the veil with you :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_veil-veil?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:9f7ee711-93de-42df-883a-c077ccae9059Post:248d6f71-04cd-4a13-a652-df3baae476ad">Re: Veil or No Veil?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies!!  Part of me wishes I'd worn my mom's but when I think about WHY it's really because I just wanted a few pictures with it, ya know?  So that helps!!  <strong>And I secretly just wanted to know who all was wearing veils and who wasn't.  ;)</strong>
    Posted by LittleBigO[/QUOTE]

<div>Well in THAT case... :P</div><div>I'm definitely wearing a veil! And, blessing upon blessing, my mother's veil does work with my dress! So I'll wear hers :)</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Well if you're curious, I AM wearing a veil, but not to cover my face (like JoesGirl said).  I'm wearing a 1-tier elbow-length veil.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I agree with faith and faith... haha. I am not wearing one because it's just not me, but I do think they are gorgeous on other people. I went to my cousin's wedding on Saturday and his new wife wore one and she looked beautiful. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking it to the photo shoot. I think that would be very special to you... and you would look pretty, too! 
  • edited December 2011
    I also didn't wear one because when I put it on I felt like I got swallowed in tulle!!  :P  But I agree - some ladies just WOW the veil!!
  • mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kind of thought I would hate veils, but I tried one on with my dress and I love it!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was vehemently against veils but I felt like my dress looked incomplete without one, so I got a simple, one layer veil and wore it like Lisa/Joe'sgirl.  Actually, my veil was square, which I think is kind of cool.
  • edited December 2011
    FWIW, I plan to wear my veil for the ceremony and take it off for most or all of the reception.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

• SoonToBeGenaoSoonToBeGenao member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am wearing my mother's veil during the ceremony and into the reception. After the first dance, I will remove the veil and keep on her headpiece for the rest of the reception :)
    There's only 1 way 2 say those 3 words and that's what I'll do... I love you Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I'm wearing a one-tier, fingertip length veil with scattered rhinestones in it and I LOVE it. It won't be covering my face though, and I haven't decided if I want it on during the reception or not. I have a while before I need to decide on that. lol
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wore a veil, but I wore it underneath my updo. I didn't want to wear a blusher (too old fashioned) and I wanted to make sure the updo I paid all that money for would be showing and not covered up. Pic in my siggy of my first dance with H of how it looked. I removed it after the first dance and was amazed at how much cooler I felt after removing it. It really trapped in a lot of heat on my back.

My mom made it for me and even did the detailing on the edge with rhinestones to make it sparkly to match my dress. We were appalled at how expensive veils were so she volunteered to make mine with materials from a fabric store.

It was a two tiered fingertip length veil

Love this closeup of the detailing on it.
  • edited December 2011
    Aw I love everyone's answers.  :)  Thanks ladies!!  You all will look or do look gorgeous!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards