Wedding Invitations & Paper

Proper wording of the date on the invitation?

Hello all:

A few quick questions on the formal wording of the date for the invitation.  Our wedding is on July 10, 2010. 

The invitation currently spells out the date as follows:  SATURDAY, THE TENTH OF JULY, TWO THOUSAND AND TEN.

My first question: Where should there be commas?  No commas?

My second question:  What is the proper way to spell out the year?  Is there a hyphen (i.e., TWO-THOUSAND AND TEN)?  And should we remove the "and" (i.e., TWO THOUSAND TEN)?

Any experts out there?  Would be oh so grateful for your help!!

Kindest regards,
Adelaide down the aisle

Re: Proper wording of the date on the invitation?

• the and in two thousand AND ten isn't necessary. it is two thousand ten.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_proper-wording-of-date-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:a388d05e-fe64-4f2d-953a-548e7529f134Post:919dd039-80f6-45a5-ac5f-2a232d82c40c">Re: Proper wording of the date on the invitation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]our wedding is July 4, 2010 and our invitations say: Sunday, July Fourth Two Thousand and Ten We decided against Sunday, the fourth of July purely because our wedding is on the fourth of July and it sounded too holidayish to me if you know what I mean.
    Posted by SummerBoston10[/QUOTE]

The t's in the year should not be capitalized. Dates are not proper nouns.
    imageimageimage
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_proper-wording-of-date-invitation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:a388d05e-fe64-4f2d-953a-548e7529f134Post:77042b12-682b-47e0-b5f7-3f2073f0e8c0">Re: Proper wording of the date on the invitation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dito PP.  The commas are correct.  No hypen.  Some people say that two thousand and ten is incorrect because it's really 2000.1 (the math way).  There's some thought that the "and" is a British English/American English difference.  We're using two thousand ten because I like it.
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

And I agree with all of this. We used two thousand nine because it sounded better when read aloud (to me anyway), but if it sounded better with the "and" I would have used it - and no one would have thought it said 2000.9
    imageimageimage
  • You CAN capitalize the T in Two thousand, but it's not wrong not to. It's up to you to include "and" or not -- both ways are correct.

Personally, I'd go with:

Saturday, the tenth of July
    Two thousand and ten
    planning

• The conflicting date info bugs me as well, but I think it is merely a matter of preference.

We are getting married July 3, 2010 and wrote out our year without the "and" - it reads better to me.

• Saturday, the tenth of July
    two thousand ten

OR

Saturday, the tenth of July
    two thousand and ten

I prefer without the and.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards