Retro and Vintage Weddings

Pic of my reception hall and cermemony

Hi all :)

I was trying to think of some ideas to decorate the 1917 building Im having my ceremony and reception in.  I included a link of it, so maybe you can help me!  My ceremony will be in the Doric room and the reception in the ballroom..I chose the Doric room for the ceremony because I can play The Painted Veil soundtrack while guests come in! :)

I already put a deposit down for ivory satin chair covers (not the bow kind, but the kind that knot in the back) so I think that will help a lot in both rooms.  I want candles....and my colors are lavender and blue....Is there anything I can add to the ballroom or Doric room to make it REALLY 1920's looking?  The doric room is going to be tough because there are NO window ledges, no stands of any kind, and there are obviously no pews to put flowers.  But I always wanted a dark, winter reception and this place is perfect for me. Here are the links...

Jenny

Re: Pic of my reception hall and cermemony

• edited January 2010
    Wow! How incredibly lovely!!!! All I really can say is wow!! The link that mn2italy posted should be great inspiration! The only thing I could add would be to just use your favorite flowers and candles in your colors that are lightly scented on the tables. Like I always say.....try some mock-ups. :)
    Visit Gothic.weddings.com
  • I also have a really cheesey suggestion. :) I just pictured a singer up on that stage with a glamorous glimmering dress....ok, I know I'm cheesey, but that would be so awesome!
  • I love your ideas and the link you sent me.  The birdcage card holder with the invites on top are beautiful.  I will use that idea.  :)
  • Haha and I do like the idea with the singer!  But probably way too expensive!  This place had a HUGE minimum for food and beverage, and I think I made my fiancee and everyone else in my family mad for not looking at any other reception places :)
  • I'm not much help with decor, but your venue is gorgeous!
  • It's beautiful !!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Here my most honest opinion, Jenny.

Your venue speaks for itself!  You don't even NEED any decorations!  It already has that vintage feel you're going for.  You're terribly lucky.  The Great Gatsby couple had to dress up their venue because it wasn't nearly as vintage looking--quite plain actually.

I would concentrate on the music and centrepieces if I were you.  The music will completely bring home that vintage feel and make your guests feel like they're walking back in time.  The centrepieces are just that final touch.  I hope this helps!
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • I agree completely with what nukke said! It's just an amazing venue with tons of glam! Some sort of music like a "big band" or "jazz band" would just top it all off. :)
  • Oh wow, I love your venue!  I agree that it just doesn't need that much, but I picture candles and lots of flowing flowers for the centerpieces.  Also, if you can afford it, some kind of jazz/swing band on that stage.  Good luck!  It really is fabulous!  
  • You guys are too sweet!!! I love you all already.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards