Maine

Engagement party invites

My mom and dad want to throw an engagement party for me and my FI. Awesome! Problem is my mom wants to do Evites & I'm feeling it might be ok to shoot an email to my family member (we're all rather chummy) but I think it'd be awkward for my parents first contact with my FI's grandparents would be through an email. I gave her mailing address for his side of the family. She kind of put up a stink about it. I told her it was ok to cut corners w/ people you knew, but it's a matter of etiquette. I'm not trying to be a snob, I'm just trying to imagine how I'd feel if out of the blue I got an email from my nephew's fiance's mother (whom I've never met) inviting them to a party. A little weird, don't you think???

Re: Engagement party invites

• mainemommymainemommy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im not an expert on this but I have to agree with you. I would be afraid it would end up in their junk mail folder since they dont even know who she is. I think sending the invite to them in the mail would be far more appropriate.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I'm with you too.  Not only is it a matter of etiquette, but how comfortable are FI's grandparents with e-mail and evites?  I couldn't see any of my grandparents being able to fully understand the evite!
  • edited December 2011
    Not to mention how many people have SPAM filters on which catch emails sent from addresses not in their contact lists-- your Mom's evite might never make it through the filter!But I agree with pps and with you-- it's quite a violation of etiquette, bordering on uncouth. :-)  Perhaps, however, your mom would accept it more if she looked at it from a practicality side-- i.e. the emails may not reach their destinations?
    "Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky." -- Ranier Maria Rilke BabyFruit Ticker image Me:37 MH:38 TTC since Oct 2011 BFP/Beta#1: 13 6/20/12; Beta#2: 20 6/22/12; MC/Beta#3: 9 6/27/12 BFP#2/Beta#1: 9/21/12 S/PAIFW
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards