Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Tell me if this price sounds ridiculous for this cake?

I went to a cake shop today to get some prices on cakes.For this cake but only 3 tiers (feeds up to 150) and with a fondont (spelling?) bow on top it's going to be like $400 with tax.  Then they want to charge $200 to deliver it an hour away.  I mean gas is only $2.45 a gallon here!  I was kind of outraged.  Does that seem pricy to you?[IMG]http://i29.tinypic.com/i39cp3.jpg[/IMG]

Re: Tell me if this price sounds ridiculous for this cake?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    $200 to deliver it? Hmm I would think that for sure is WAY too much for an hour. What area are you in? I would also ask your local board to see what the avg delivery price is coming to. I personally am paying $10 for delivery but the person who is doing the cake lives less than 30 mins from the venue.
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Remember, that's 2 hours of drive time... Gas may be $2.45/gallon, but there's also things like the cost of the person who is going to be delivering/setting up your cake (multiply your living-hourly-wage x4, because they're going to be working at least that in the process of delivering the cake), the costs associated with the vehicle (maintenance and insurance), cost for milage (the delivery van only gets 15mpg)...  And, yea, it adds up in a hurry... OTOH, $200 is a bit steep depending on what your description of "an hour" is, but that's not a project you want to have to do yourself by any stretch of the imagination.  The overall cost for the cake for 150 still sounds reasonable to me...  But, you could do some more checking around to see what other bakers in the area will charge you for the same cake with the same design delivered...
  • Options
    koosh ballkoosh ball member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    200 to deliver is a bit much but 400 for the cake is reasonable.
  • Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    The 200.00 seems a bit high, but can you negotiate with them?You aren't just paying for gas.  You are paying for set up, as well as 2 hours of professional time.  I think the price for the cake is good, and I love that cake!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our cake is around the same price and it serves 70 people. However, ours is a more complicated shape/design with alot of fondant detailing. For that price I imagine the bakery will be frosting yours in buttercream? I think the price for the cake itself is fair, even a bit on the low side. That's around $2.60/serving which is alot lower than I am paying. The delivery charge has my eyebrow raised though...$200 seems excessive to deliver the cake.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The delivery fee seems high; our delivery fee is $125 for an hour and a half away.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The cake price is about in the ballpark for the size I would say, but there is no way I would pay that kind of delivery charge. Our cake is being delivered and set up at no additional charge. If I were you I would check with different vendors. Good Luck!  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree. The cake fee seems sort of reasonable but the delivery fee. No way!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out my cake....it was only $425 total (including the delivery) It served 150.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards