Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Heavy hors d'oeuvres suggestions and questions

I am hoping to offer heavy hors d'oeuvres instead of a full meal in order to cut costs a little. Any suggestions on what I should offer? I want the selections to still be nice... no cocktail wennies and such. I was also wonder if assigned seating is a good idea if there is no formal meal being served. I don't want people to feel like they have to watch thier spot all night so I was thinking of still doing a assigned seating.Any suggestions please?

Re: Heavy hors d'oeuvres suggestions and questions

• Options
    There's a post below about assigned seating.  I'm a fan of assigning seats, and it has nothing to do with the meal that is served.Also, check into your costs.  Sometimes heavy hors d'oervres can cost as much, if not more than a dinner, because they're labor intensive to prepare.  It could be that your savings won't be as much as you think it will.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    This is a long list from Google. If hors d'ouevres are being served instead of a meal, allow 8-10 pieces per person (mix of hot, cold, and a few dessert options).  HOT FOODSAssorted Quiche TartsBBQ Baby Back Pork RibsBiscuits with Baked Virginal HamBrochette BitesCaramelized Leek, Fennel and Roquefort TartletChicken EmpanadasChicken Piccata with Lemon, Wine and Crapes on French RollsChicken TendersChicken WingsChinese Dumplings w/Plum SauceCoconut Chicken Skewers with Citrus SauceEgg Rolls w/Dipping SauceFried Mozzarella Sticks w/Pizza SauceGinger Beef SticksGrilled Cajun ShrimpKielbasa in Honey GlazeMeat Balls in Mushroom SauceMeatballs in Peppercorn Sauce Meatballs MarinaraMedallion Crab Cakes with Tartar SauceMini Beef WellingtonMiniature Crab CakesMiniature Spinach Quiche Mini-ReubenPeking Duck Rolls with Plum Sauce Petite Pizza PiecesPork & Vegetable Pot StickersPotato SkinsRoast Beef on French Rolls with Mayo, Spicy Mustard and HorseradishRumakiSalmon Cakes w/Dill SauceScallops with BaconSeafood Stuffed MushroomsSpanakopitaStuffed MushroomsVegetable Stuffed MushroomsVeggie or Chicken QuesadillasCOLD FOODSBread and Domestic Cheese DisplayBruschettaCalifornia Rolls with Soy Sauce, Ginger & WasabiCanapésCheese and CrackersCold Cut Tray with Ham, Turkey, Roast Beef, Corned Beef, Cheeses, MayoCream Cheese, Cucumber & Onion Tea SandwichesCucumber w/Crab MeatDeviled EggsFig Toast with BrieFinger Sandwiches (Tuna, Egg, Chicken, Beef, Crab or Ham Salad)Freshly Sliced FruitHam and Cheese PinwheelsJumbo Chilled ShrimpMarinated Mushrooms or Artichoke HeartsMini Sandwiches on Party RollsPasta Salad, Potato Salad or Marinated Blackeye Pea Salad Pimento Cheese Tea SandwichesPistachio Grapes with Goat CheeseProsciutto & MelonSalami CornucopiaShrimp CocktailSmoked Salmon on Bagel ChipsSmoked White Fish PlatterTropical Fresh Fruit Tray with Marshmallow Cream Cheese DipVegetables and DipVirginia Ham Roll-ups with Cream Cheese
  • Options
    another cost to consider is the seating itself. i wanted to do an hors d'oeuvres reception, but my venue only provides seating for 25% of my guest list for the hors d'oeuvres package. since i want to have seating available for all of my quests i would have had to pay for the extra tables and chairs. the cost of that alone plus the hors d'oeuvres made the buffet prices easier to swallow, especially since we will get more food with the dinner package and we'll get event enhancements too.
    Jama and Billy are getting married! - hitchedtickers.com
  • Options
    I did heavy h'ds, and everyone raved about the food.  We had small grilled chicken skewers, small grilled beef kabobs, fruit and pina colada dip, brie & raspberry in phyllo, celery & feta antipasto with little toasts, crab & cream cheese ragoons, shrimp & chipotle wontons, crab cakes with remoulade sauce, and vegetarian spring rolls.Didn't assign the seating, as we had the ceremony & reception at a B&B - we set up large round tables and cafe tables around the first floor of the house and patio outside. 
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards