Rhode Island
Options

How is the tax and gratuity usually calculated?

I'm trying for a guesstimate :) of what our final bill will be? Does anyone know how venues typically calculate it? Thanks!

Re: How is the tax and gratuity usually calculated?

• Options
    melinda478melinda478 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It should be in your contract.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our venue calculated tax on all food and beverage. I don't believe room rental fees should be taxed, as ours wasn't.  The gratuity charge was calculated after the tax was added to the bill.  Originally I didn't think that was right, but I did some research and found out that they are allowed to do that.  Hope this helps a little.
  • Options
    Dannie138Dannie138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks....and I will reread the contract, but I didn't see it there. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For my venue I pay (1) 7% RI sales tax which is calculated on the total bill before the Admin charges are added in, (2) 1% Newport tax on food and beverage only, and then (3) the Admin charge is based on the pre-tax total bill.  The admin charge is NOT taxed. 
  • Options
    AmyRIAmyRI member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually called the state to see what taxes they could charge on food, beverage, fees, and gratuity. And, as much as I disagreed with the policy, this is how it goes: If your contract states a certain percentage of gratuity that must be paid, it is taxable (both 7% sales and 1% meals tax). Room fees are also taxable, but whether or not they charge you gratuity on the room fee is up to the venue (and should be stated in the contract). So, take the total food & beverage bill, calculate the gratuity and add all that plus room fees together. Then do 8% tax on that total.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    scubascaffscubascaff member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It should be already included in your invoice. Im not sure what vendor youre asking about, but there should not be any surprises at the end, itll all be calculated for you up front.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards