Ohio-Northeast

Rehearsal Dinner

FI and I were discussing the RD bar options.  What are you doing/did you do in terms of drinks for guests?  We are concerned that an open bar might get out of hand, but don't really like the idea of drink tickets.  Any suggestions/ideas are greatly appreciated!  TIA!

Re: Rehearsal Dinner

• edited December 2011
    We weren't going to have alcohol at the RD. My dad decided to pick up the tab so we had an "open bar" based on consumption. I looked at the bill at the end of the night and for 35ish people it was $385 which didn't seem that bad to me.
    BFP #1 8.16.10 m/c at 5w BFP #2 10.21.10 m/c at 5w4d
    BFP #3 2.15.11 EDD 10.27.11. DD born 10.29.11
    Betas @9dpo = 23 Betas @12dpo= 128.5 Betas @17dpo= 1075 Betas @21dpo =5800s
    @6w hb 114 bpm! @8w4d hb 178 bpm! @12w hb 169 bpm! @18w hb 150 bpm!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    You could give your RD venue a budget and when you get to that price have them stop serving. I doubt it will get that out of hand though.
    BFP #1 8.16.10 m/c at 5w BFP #2 10.21.10 m/c at 5w4d
    BFP #3 2.15.11 EDD 10.27.11. DD born 10.29.11
    Betas @9dpo = 23 Betas @12dpo= 128.5 Betas @17dpo= 1075 Betas @21dpo =5800s
    @6w hb 114 bpm! @8w4d hb 178 bpm! @12w hb 169 bpm! @18w hb 150 bpm!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    My in-laws paid for the RD, and they were willing to pay for 2 drinks per person.  We didn't have tickets or anything, just let people know by word of mouth.  Honestly, I don't even think most people had 2 drinks... with a busy day the next day I don't think anyone wanted to be hung over!
  • mocklerjamocklerja member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having a cash bar for RD.  We decided to have our RD on a Thursday (place we wanted and could afford with money the FILs are giving us was not available on Friday), so some people may have a drink or two and did not think it would be a big deal not to have an open bar, but wanted guests to at least have opportunity to have a drink if they wanted.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    We are also doing the two drink option.  I've talked to most of the people invited and let them know that we will pay for two drinks and everyone has said they felt that was fine (most even said it was generous).  I'm think it will be okay.  I've been to RDs before that have handled it this way and it was perfectly fine by me.
  • edited December 2011
    We are just having beer and wine at ours.  It is only for 2 hours and then we have lanes reserved at the Corner Alley for eveyone.  At the dinner, we're offering two kinds of wine (one white and one red) and two kinds of beer (one lite beer and dortmunder I think).  At the corner alley we're just paying for the bowling for everyone and food and drinks are on their own.  We invited everyone to the bowling, but just family and wedding party to the official RD. 
  • golf*bridegolf*bride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a family style Italian dinner and served wine, coffee, soft drinks.  No one asked about ordering other drinks. 
  • dcunningham2dcunningham2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know you don't like the idea of 'tickets' but at our annual company Christmas party, they (I think the caterer does this) give each person 2 little gems. we don't have an actual bar in the room, the servers bring drinks from the bar and we give them our 'gems' when they take our order. (which can save you room and money - not sure what your venue is charging, but you'll likely pay a bartender fee if you don't reach a minimum)to play on the wedding theme, instead of gems you could have mini bride and grooms? and give one 'couple' per person. not sure where you could find them, but an idea nonetheless.
    imageimage

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did an open bar that consisted of only beer and wine.  We had about 35 people come to the RD and honestly, the final cost wasn't that much - but that also depends on your situation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • K ByteK Byte member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    All the RD's I've ever attended had only beer and wine or were even dry. I wouldn't expect a completely open bar at a rehearsal dinner. I think most of your guests would be ok w/ beer, wine, and soft drinks.
  • JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My in-laws paid for the RD. Soft drinks were included in the dinner price, and my in-laws also paid for 1 alcoholic beverage per person. After that, folks were on their own to pay for additional drinks, but I don't think anyone did. At least they were covered for a glass of wine or whatever with dinner. There were no drink tickets. As servers took orders, they mentioned what was covered (the 1 alcoholic drink).  I would imagine that it depends on the venue whether 'drink tickets' would be used or not. Have you discussed it with your location to see what they normally do? Our RD was at a regular restaurant -- Antonio's in Parma. IMO, if I was attending a RD and there were drink tickets, I wouldn't think anything of it. I don't see it as a big deal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards