Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

small children

Me and my fiance have three small children ages 2, 5 , and 8. We want to do something special during our wedding to show that we are getting married and making a commitment to the whole family. Any suggestions?

Re: small children

• Are these all the biological children of you both?  If so, why do you need to make a commitment to the whole family?  You already are a family.  I would think that you two have already made a commitment to your three children.I personally think that a marriage is between two consenting adults, and that having children, especially children as young as ages 2 and 5 doesn't make any sense.  They cannot understand or make "vows".If you feel that you must do something, I'd find it more appropriate at the rehearsal dinner or the reception, but not during a marriage ceremony.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • We've talked a lot about this on the Second Wedding board, regarding biological children and steps.  Personally, I believe that the wedding ceremony should be between consenting adults.  And that's all.  A quick blessing for the entire family is nice, but the vows, and that sort of thing between children and adults give me the creeps. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • We also have the same thing........we are doing a unity candle with the 4 of us!! and also my FI is saying Vows to my daughter, and giving her a locket.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • See the thing is one is our biological child together, the other two are his biological children but they dont know I am not their biological mother yet. We want to tell them when they are older. But we figured if we did something, later they would look back on it and realize my commitment to them also. If that makes any sense.
  • We're including my fiance's three children (ages 11, 13, and 15) in the ceremony. It was my idea, and he really liked it. They were all super excited about us getting married; and were even more ecstatic when we told them they would be included. I just wanted to show my committment to them even though they aren't my biological children; and my fiance wanted to assure them of his committment to them even though he was remarrying.
  • My oldest is my husbands step child, but we also will have OUR child who will be 3 mo in the wedding. Our wedding invites include the Children's names and inviting people to join us as we join as a family. And we will have the 4 tapers for the unity candle.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • thanks I really like the idea of the unity candles
  • ditto trix have them as flowegirls or ring bearers or simply process in as the children of the couple . But family vows are creepy and imply that you did not love these children before your marriage. The marriage is about adults making a life choice not little kids being affected by adults choices.  
  • We are doing a sand ceremony
  • how funny my fiance has a 5 year old i was going to do something then he ( the 5 year old) suggested i give him a spiderman toy. I deceded i was not doing anthing because he could care less. I had him pick out the cake flavor. He is excited that i am moving into the house with him and his dad. It taught me sometimes we as adults make a bigger deal out of something then the children. I have just included him in the process. He will be the ring bearer and we are jumping the broom so he will put that down for us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards