Texas-Austin
Options

Vendor Reviews- 12/18/10 (Long!)

Hey ladies! I didn't get to post much on here, but I did love reading vendor reviews, so here are mine!

Venue
Mansion at Judges Hill- A+

I really loved our venue. I got scared as they changed coordinators about a month out from my wedding, but Lauren was awesome. So organized, responsible, and easy to get in touch with. She was right there making sure everything was perfect all night, and it was! We didn't run into any troubles with the venue or food, (which was delicious.) I only ate a tiny bite but Lauren made sure we had plates of food and cake waiting for us in our room. I know this isn't the cheapest venue, but I felt we really got alot for our money, with everything being included and a coordinator built into the price.

Rehearsal Dinner
The Hyatt Regency (on Town Lake)- B-

I gave them a B because they were very unorganized and after several phone calls and in-person meetings, the coordinator would still act like she didn't know who we were when we called. They also misplaced our food order and we had to start the whole process over. A couple months before our dinner, they called and told us they were moving us to a different room and that it was in the contract that they are allowed to move us to where ever they see fit. Annoying, but not that big of deal as the room ended up being a nicer view. The actual dinner was very nice and the staff was so friendly. They didn't bring the vegetarian meals like we had asked for, but they did refund the money for those later, which I appreciated.

Also- they told us they would give us a discount on rooms, but it turned out to be more trouble than it was even worth. Many of my guests said they called and the Hyatt told them they had no record of our name, or if people called after normal business hours, the discount no longer showed up?? It was embarrassing for me to hear that all my guests had so much trouble.

Dress and Alterations
Alexia Gavela- A+

I loved my entire experience here. The staff is so nice and they always greeted me by name. The sweet lady who did the alterations did a fantastic job and was very reasonably priced. I whole-heartedly recommend this shop!

Ceremony Musicians
Divisi Strings- A+

We ordered a duo to come and play during the ceremony only. I was so nervous, unfortunately, I didn't even pay attention to the music! But my Dad said they were very nice, on time, and played beautifully. They were very good at corresponding and played everything just as we asked. I didn't even meet them, but they did everything they were supposed to!

DJ
Byrne Rock- A+

I love Byrne! He was so cool. We were kinda afraid of the stereotypical wedding DJ, but Byrne is nothing like that. He is a chill, laid-back guy. We were very picky and he let us make all our own lists, and he supplemented them seamlessly with his own selections. We had an awesome dance party and he did everything right! The only thing that went wrong, which was all my fault, was that our first dance song was accidentally put on the cocktail playlist, so I could hear it playing while we were taking pictures! But honestly, at that time, what are you gonna do? No biggie, they just had to hear it twice. Oh well! (Nothing seems to be as big of deal on the day of.... just smile and enjoy!)

Flowers
Petal Pushers- B+

There was really nothing wrong with my flowers at all, they were just fine. I just remember when they were brought to my room, thinking, "oh, ok" when I was expecting to gush over them. I wanted all white flowers, very wintry-looking and when I first saw them, I thought they looked very greenish-yellowish instead of bright white. Which I know is something you have to expect as no one can predict what the exact batch will look like. However, Petal Pushers is not cheap, so I was expecting to be blown away. I will say that the few pics I've seen, the flowers look pretty incredible, so maybe I was just too busy to notice the true beauty.

They get a B+ because in the beginning they were very difficult to get ahold of. My emails would go unanswered for weeks. I finally learned the person I planned everything with had been let go, so I met with the owner and kind of re-planned everything. She was much easier to get ahold of, but by then the wedding was only 3 weeks away. My mom was disappointed they took the flowers home with them at the end of the night. She thought since we paid for them, we should be allowed to keep them, if we wanted. Also, some of my personal decor items got taken home with them, and I haven't heard anything from them.

Photographer-No pics back yet, so I can't really grade, but he was awesome!!
Chip Gillespie- 563 Studios

So my original photographer was Cameron Randolph of Lume Photography, who I met at the Bridal Extravaganza. His prices were really good and he seemed really cool, so I booked with him. Fast forward to the day of my wedding. 5 hours before the ceremony, he calls and says he has the flu! I kind of freaked, but he said he was sending a replacement from Houston, and that he was amazing and I'd love him, etc. Again, what else could I do?  I know people get sick, so I just had to go with it. Chip arrives and he is the friendliest, most energetic guy ever. He got all the creative shots that I wanted, and he worked his butt off all night! I can't wait to see the pics, he showed us a couple on the camera and they looked amazing.
I will say that I am a little dissapointed that I never heard from Cameron again after the sick call. A simple "Did everything go ok?" would of been nice.

Videographer
McKenzie Miller Films- again, haven't seen the film, but she is great!

Hiring a videographer was the best wedding decision I made, hands down. When people say, "blink and its over!", I can't stress enough how true that is. The whole night seemed to fly by, and the next morning I was so relieved to know that I would get to relive it again by watching the film. I know alot of people think its too expensive, or just don't think its necessary, but I PROMISE you will not regret it. Especially after planning for months and months, once its over, it seems kinda sad. Im dying for that video to come so I can see it all over again! There are so many moments I missed and just getting to hear the vows and speeches again will be so wonderful.
McKenzie has that modern, cool vibe that I was looking for. But she's also very friendly and down to earth. I never felt like I was being filmed. If its the one thing you splurge on- do it!!

Photobooth
Max Photography- A+

Got the Groupon! Can't say enough nice things about these guys. They were so friendly and nice, and we didn't have a single problem with them or the booth. The booth itself is huge- we easily crammed 7 people in there. The props are great- not just cheesy boas, but some really funny things. It was such a hit, there was a line all night. We had people from 5 to 70 years old using it. The guests loved being able to take a strip home with them.

Makeup
Maris Malone Calderon- A+

Wow, what a pro she is! If you care alot about makeup, Maris is for you. I know she is not the cheapest, but I am a makeup fanatic, so this was important to me. She did me and all 6 of my bridesmaids, and let me tell you, everyone looked gorgeous! Love, love, love her.

Cake
Michelle's Patisserie- A+

Delicious! Not much to say, they delivered on time, the cakes looked and tasted amazing! I just wish I ate more of it! We can't wait to get another one for our 1st anniversary.

I think I'm done! Sorry so long, i just worked with a lot of talented and wonderful people, so I wanted to do them justice.
Good luck to everyone! It really was the most amazing day! And remember what everyone says- make sure you pause and soak it all in!!

Re: Vendor Reviews- 12/18/10 (Long!)

• Options
    a-c-da-c-d member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did I read your review about Petal Pushers correctly... they took your flowers with them at the end of your wedding?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    MnMShawMnMShaw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was just about to say the same thing as ACD.  If they took your flowers with you then you got screwed.  You paid for the flowers, you keep the flowers.
    Blog
    TTC #1 since February 2011
    BFP #1 1/14/12 EDD 9/24/12 m/c at 8w4d on 2/20/12
    March 2012- Dx with PCOS, started metformin
    July 2012- SA completely normal
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep! You read that correctly! My mom got all the bouquets, but they took all the centerpiece flowers. One of my bridesmaids had to pull lots of my personal items out of their boxes, but it still seems they left with some vases and candle holders of mine (they were labeled on the bottom, too). The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lauren, thanks so much for the reviews! I am using Studio 563 for photography as well. I was really nervous about Petal Pushers, my planner highly recommended them, but comments from friends and reviews online seem to say otherwise. I can't believe they took the flowers and some of your personal items, that is just crazy. Glad to hear the rest of the wedding went well, Mansion at Judge's Hill is such a beautiful venue!
  • Options
    a-c-da-c-d member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    WOW- I was hoping I hadn't read that right. That is just wrong. I am so sorry!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks guys! The end of the night was such a whirlwind, maybe we should have been more upfront about wanting to keep them, I just thought that was pretty normal. The altar pieces were beautiful, and I have seen amazing pictures of their work, so this might not be representative of everyone that works there. It was still an amazing night- I don't regret anything!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That is very strange about the flowers. The only thing I can think of, is that they may have been trying to help clean up, and thought they just needed to go back with them. Still, they should have been considerate enough to ask. That is just odd!!! I would love to see some pics of your makeup from Maris!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Update! Got both the pics and a video preview back so I can most definitely give Chip Gillespie (photog) and McKenzie Miller (video) an A++

If you are interested, the pics are:
    http://chipgillespie.com/blog/
    and
    http://www.mckenziemillerfilms.com/blog/

(Lauren and Sal)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards