New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Name Change

Hi Ladies,   On the marriage license did you use your maiden name as your middle name or drop it completely?    Guess it is just personal preference, but just wondering.  J  

Re: Name Change

• Options
    lawyer707lawyer707 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hyphened my name. So it's maiden name- FI's last name. I like my name and also have used it professionally so I didn't want to give it up completely.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Lucrez1aLucrez1a member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I made my maiden name my middle name because i didn't have one, but they wouldn't let me do it on the marriage license.  My only choices were to keep my maiden name, take my DH's last name, hyphenate it or put it all together as one last name. I was able to do it with social security & then I just started using it as my middle name with all my credit cards & utility bills.  With my driver's license the first time i went they gave me a hard time bc it wasn't my middle name on the marriage license so they wouldn't let me put in on my DL...so i left that day and then went to another DMV and i just filled out the paper work with my maiden name as my middle name without saying anything to them and they didn't notice.Sorry so long...HTH
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I dropped my maiden name. Totally a personal preference though. I happen to really like my first and middle name together and thought my maiden named sounded weird as a middle name.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dropped my maiden completely.
  • Options
    kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Like a pp said, it's very difficult in NY to make your maiden name your middle name. On the state health dept website, that actually isn't even one of the choices. http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/married.htm (Scroll down to surname options)A friend of mine ended up spending the time and $$ to do a legal name change through the courts to make her maiden name her middle name on her drivers license. The social security office didn't give her any problems, but the dmv would not let her do it.All of that said, legally I will be first middle newlast, but socially, I will go by first maiden newlast.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was going to have my maiden name be my middle name, but I'm just going to drop my maiden name,
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A friend of mine ended up spending the time and $$ to do a legal name change through the courts to make her maiden name her middle name on her drivers license. The social security office didn't give her any problems, but the dmv would not let her do it.^ THIS ^I changed my name to Jennifer MaidenName MarriedName at SS with no problem at all but, when I tried to do the same at the DMV they refused stating that I could only hyphenate or drop my Maiden all together (and, yes, I even spoke with two supervisors).  Very frustrating.  In the end, I decided to just drop my maiden name. The hyphenation was too cumbersome and I'm not going to change anything through the courts only to have to re-do my documentation and pay the fees again.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Canon 50D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Speedlite 430EX II

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards