Moms and Maids
Options

Introducing mom to MIL

I am flying out to LA this week from Boston to do some wedding planning. The ceremony will be at my MIL's church. My mom wants to see the church while I am in townand talk to my MIL about wedding plans. They have only met once. It was kind of ackward and my mom thought MIL was pushy (might be due to cultural differences/language). I get along well with my MIL and mom, but I am worried that my mom might be too opinionated/aggressive about wedding plans. I can handle dealing with my mom about wedding stuff, but I'm not sure if my mom and MIL will get along. Any ideas about how to introduce my mom and MIL to each other in a way that will go well?

Re: Introducing mom to MIL

• Options
    AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Usually it just takes time and conversation to really warm up to people. I would say maybe telling your mom to talk less about wedding stuff and more about girl stuff, telling her to "bean dip" aka changing the subject when needed would be the best way to get both ladies to warm up to one another and avoid drama. If you know anything that they both might like, activities, clothing styles, jewelry, etc that is a good way to "connect" with people and open up.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They're both adults.  I presume they've been in a situation where they've met new people before.  Relax and expect them to act like the adults they are without you interceding.

I've been MOG and MOB.  I met my children's in-laws.  I don't particularly care for DD's in-laws, but we manage to get along with each other.

Yours will too.  GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards