Hawaii
Options

Wedding Coordinator - Maui

Hi ladies! I have posted a few times but will be around a lot more now that I only have four short months left until the wedding. Currently I have been talking back and forth with Tropical Maui Weddings (Lori and Jackie) but have not yet signed a contract. I noticed that some of you just used them for DOC and booked all the vendors yourself. I didn't know this was an option with them but I'm thinking I would like to do it this way instead. Any advice or suggestions for me? Would you have just a DOC if you were to do it all over again? Also, can anyone let me know their final cost for catering and which company you used?

Re: Wedding Coordinator - Maui

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi!  I would definitely have a DOC if I had to do it all over again, but that's just me, I know some other talented girls on here managed to do without any help whatsoever--so impressive!

I preferred to book all of my vendors, but after going through all that, I'm not really sure that I saved any money doing it that way.  I probably just would have had Lori take care of it all, then there wouldn't have to be any transition of handing over the wedding to her when I got to Maui.

Yup, I think I would have had her do all that if I had to do it all over again.

HTH...
    image imageimage Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a DOC and planning coordinator.  I already had our photographer before I even signed up with a coordinator, so I got to choose that, but once I hooked up with a coordinator I had a set of 'preferred vendors' that I have to choose from.  They are all great, so I'm not complaining, but it did take some choices out of consideration.  Overall, I love everyone I've booked and I am very happy with my coordinator (not Lauri)! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't use a coordinator, but (and I stress this), I've put on a ton of drama productions in my time, so I'm used to the kind of organization necessary for weddings. And my Dad was a logistics officer in the Navy... so I had a great back-up system. Plus, I'm cheap. I hate spending money on something I can do myself.

I strongly believe that you can be your own coordinator (in fact, none of my friends have ever used one), but to do it successfully means mean being on top of the ball, knowing who to delegate jobs to (and to let them do it) AND being able to enjoy your wedding day at the same time! To go back to the drama analogy, you're basically functioning as actor and director at the same time. I love throwing parties/organizing, so it wasn't stressful for me at all, but I understand how it can seem daunting to a lot of people.
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went with Lori at Tropical Maui Weddings and they've planned the wedding, and will be there for the ceremony. FI and I talked to vendors we felt we needed personal contact with - officiant and photographer, but otherwise, Lori and Jackie have booked and communicated with all of our vendors. 

Obviously, I don't have any final reviews yet, but I can say that you hear about vendors not calling folks back, and it's been a great relief not to worry about this.   I leave for work at 8-ish and get home around 7-ish, which just doesn't leave a lot of time to track down a bunch of vendors, fax contracts back and forth, etc.  I've been happy to leave those details to someone else who has an on-going business relationship with the vendors.  Hopefully everything else will go as smoothly as the planning has gone so far.
  • Options
    mauidandymauidandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep- used Lori for full coordination services and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. She knows all of the companies inside and out, has a great working relationship with them and never steered me wrong in her recommendations. I consider myself to be a very organized person too, but Lori thought of things I hadn't thought of, and it was so nice to know everything was in good hands when life got super busy. I couldn't have handled the stress of doing everything myself on the day of the wedding too, it was so great being calm and relaxed and just enjoying my day while she took care of things.
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • Options
    ETweetETweet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Andrea/Mauidandy. I would definately do full planning with Lori again. There were times that I thought to myself that I could have easily booked my vendors however it was her relationship with them and knowledge/experience that contributed so much. She thought of a lot of things that I wouldn't have and made the process less stressfull for me than it otherwise would have been. I don't regret it one bit.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards