Jewish Weddings

Ceremony Music Dilemma -- Cat Stevens

Hi again everyone, I'm curious about people's reactions (or lack of them) to a potential plan to use a cat stevens song for the processional. since i met FI in 2002 (although we didnt start dating until 2007) the cat stevens song "silent sunlight" has been very special to both of us. unfortunately, i know that cat stevens (aka yusuf islam) has, in the past, been noted for a number of hurtful (and ridiculous) anti semitic remarks. i am sensitive to the idea of not using composers and artists who are hateful, but i'm not totally sure how to handle this. FI feels strongly about the song, and about the fact that a piece of music is its own entity from the person who composed it -- that they each stand alone. i certainly can see that side of things, but i guess i also see the other side. personally, i think i would be OK with using the piece (especially because its particular message is pleasant) but i am worried about offending other people, etc. any thoughts would be great! thanks lynnie
http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ceremony Music Dilemma -- Cat Stevens

• tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would be very surprised to hear a Cat Stevens song at a Jewish wedding. Since I can't imagine any Jew choosing to use his music knowing his history, my first thought would be that you were ignorant of the whole situation, which would also surprise and, honestly, disappoint me. I grew up with Cat Stevens music and loved much of it. Still do, to be honest. In many ways, the music you choose is a public statement. So to me playing it publicly at a wedding  is the equivalent of publicly supporting him. I personally can't separate the artist from the person. If it's true as you say --  "i am sensitive to the idea of not using composers and artists who are hateful" --  I'm not at all following why you have any question about using his music.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, Lynnie, I have to agree with pp...I would find it offensive due to Mr. Islam's notoriety as an anti-Semite.  It's the same reason why Wagner is not played at Jewish weddings, having been an official composer of choice for the Third Reich.  Are there other songs that are meanginful to you and your FI?  There are lots of other wonderful songs that can be a moving tribute to your love and your commitment without necessarily playing that particular piece.  After all, you can always play it for one another at a different time when it's just the two of you. If you are really deadset on this piece, perhaps you can incorporate it into the reception playlist where it's less likely to be noticed rather than during the processional when all eyes will be on you.  One final note: your Rabbi may not be a fan of this - have you run it by him?
  • edited December 2011
    I also grew up with Cat Stevens and love his music. I considered using one of his songs for the father daughter dance or slide show, but I've decided not to. I know my dad would be upset if I did, even though he's the one who introduced me to Cat Stevens!Maybe play the song later in the night like pp said, or look to see if you can find an instrumental version so it isn't so obvious... try vitaminrecords.com
  • edited December 2011
    While it's extremely important not to offend anyone at your wedding I do not think Yusuf Islam has anything against Judaism.  Semite refers to arab people as well so anti-semitic I don't think is exactly what you mean, but in no way does he sing about anything but love and seeking a closeness to God.  If you feel that playing this music at your wedding will cause pain or distress to your guests than you probably shouldn't play it.  However, I feel that is a huge misunderstanding and you would be missing out on his beautiful music.  Best Wishes to you.
  • bonniebrettbonniebrett member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    is the song for the reception? i think that's better than at the ceremony. just don't call attention to the fact that it's a cat stevens song. people may not even know.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards