Jewish Weddings

Attending a Jewish Wedding (attire question)

I'm not Jewish, but one of FI's good friends is.  Her wedding is this sunday, and I'm debating what to wear.  The only floor length skirt I own is black, but I'm not sure if that is acceptable as far as etiquette is concerned...or if a knee length pink or red skirt is better.  Or if I really should just buy something (the groom is orthodox, bride is conservitive...if that helps.  :-) )

Re: Attending a Jewish Wedding (attire question)

• edited December 2011
    Black is just fine, but, without knowing if the wedding is orthodox and/or how formal the wedding is, it's hard to know.   I'm going to guess that it's not an ultra-orthodox wedding, in which case the knee-length skirt is just fine (but I would probably not go strapless or sleeveless on top), unless, of course, they are having a formal wedding, in which case I would go with the floor length black skirt.
  • edited December 2011
    I guess nothing was mentioned or alluded to on the invitation.  Ditto the sentiment that the wedding will probably not be an Orthodox affair; so you don't have to wear black.  And certainly modesty rules wouldn't dictate having to wear something to the ground.  I say anything at or below the knee (personally, I'd go below) would be fine and naturally keep your shoulders covered. You can find lots of nice dresses and even if they are sleeveless or halter, just get a very nice sweater or light jacket to wear over it the whole time, this way you can use the dress for other outings in the future.  Or a nice two-piece would work, too. Remember, you can also contact her or someone familiar with the wedding to find out what the dress code is.  My FI and I are Conservative but on the traditional side; I've made it a point on my website to tell guests they need to be covered for the ceremony portion (the reception folks will be fine to wear what they will, within reason).  GL.
  • edited December 2011
    I actually never saw the invite until just now (it was sent to FI's house).  It states "black tie optional."
  • edited December 2011
    If those are your three choices, then the long black skirt is appropriate, unless you have a dressier dress in your closet.
  • edited December 2011
    Black tie optional, this is a very fancy affair indeed.  :-)  Still, it doesn't suggest if the affair will be tailored more toward Orthodox or Conservative. Again, I'd have your FI ask what the wedding tone will be; then you can make a better, educated guess of what to wear.  If you have some leeway and money isn't an issue (not that you have to break the bank), then treat yourself to something nice that you, hopefully, can wear again in the future.FYI, you may be able to find some really nice dresses at Macy's that won't be too much.  I have a ton of formal dresses I've gotten there over the years for weddings - all long and black.  Again, if the wedding will be on the more Conservative side, you can probably get away with a halter, spaghetti, or other strap type long black dress, and can probably get something for well under $200, and then I'd just have a very nice sweater, jacket, or shawl to wear for the night (or if you are lucky, just the ceremony).  GL.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks all!I was raised never to wear black to a wedding, so I didn't know if that was acceptable or not in Jewish circles as it very much isn't in Traditional Catholic circles.
  • edited December 2011
    Also, you could always wear a shrug or bolero for the ceremony and gauge what the crowd does during the reception. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards