Maine
Options

Money Questions

Definitely my least favorite topic of the wedding stuff...but I have a few questions on some money related topics.1.) Our minister told us that what we paid him was up to us.  He further elaborated that he does not keep the money, and it goes to his church's poverty fund.  We are paying the organist $220 so I am assuming we should pay the minister more than this (since he has also done 7+ hours of counseling with us) but I am not sure what the protocol is here.  Any ideas for me on what is appropriate to pay him?2.)  We are having a band for the reception.  I had just assumed that the tip involved would be $50 per person (there are 7 of them) but the band leader today mentioned that the average tip is 15 - 20% of the charge, which in this case would mean nearly $100 per band member.  That seems very high to me, since the band doesn't come cheap.  Thoughts on this?  What is appropriate here?3.) Lastly the photographer.  They are not usually tipped, are they????Thanks in advance!

Re: Money Questions

• Options
    JaimeMarieBJaimeMarieB member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1) We paid our minister 300.  But he told us 200 would be fine.2) I would only tip if they were really good.  And I think 50 per person is reasonable. That would be an extra 350 dollars.  I'm assuming the band cost is between 3000 and 5000.  Isn't that pretty much divided among the members after they take out travel cost.3) I didn't tip photographer.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1. we're paying $150 for our pastor (that's his fee) and $300 for use of the church, with another $150+ for an organist...  eesh!2.  we're having a DJ, who owns the company, so etiquette says he doesn't require a tip (and won't be getting one - I'm pushing the limits of my budget paying all involved, so tips will be hard earned from me!)3.  Again, if the photographer owns the business, they reap the benefits of the fee they charge, and a tip isn't necessary.  Etiquette states that employees of businesses should be tipped. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1) we are planning to donate $100 to the church for doing our wedding (remember- tax deductible!)2) I'm having a band too and I hadn't thought about the tip.  15-20% seems steep!3) I wasn't planning on it, but good question!  I figured no, but I wouldn't want to stiff them either!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards