Gothic Weddings
Options

Today's topic: Ceremony

How traditional or untraditional is your ceremony? Is it religious or spiritual? Is it in a church, outside, at your venue? Who is officiating? Share your details here!

Re: Today's topic: Ceremony

• Options
    The ceremony itself is pretty traditional I guess. I wanted us to write our own vows, but FI is totally against it. I've almost got him to do the wine, box, letter thing though. In any case, we are getting married in the Vally of Fire State Park, NV (outside of Las Vegas). We are taking a helicopter to the top of a plateau and having the ceremony there at sunset. The package we booked provides an officiant and we opted for their version of a religious ceremony. I'm really excited about the helicopter because we get to take a tour of the Grand Canyon before we arrive at the ceremony site, and then we get to fly over the Las Vegas strip when it's all lit up on the way back.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Very untraditional. I'm Christian, DF is Agnostic. We decided since we're getting ring tattoos, we're goingto do a handfasting ceremony instead of the religious ceremonies we attended throughout our lives. No unity candle, no bouquet tossing, garter toss, etc. Just the short exchange of vows (below) and then PARTY!My best friend is a pastor with the Assemblies of God and she is going to officiate. We're leaning towards renting a hall in Olive Garden, but no matter the venue, we'll do the handfasting in the front of the room while we have everyone's attention. Then they can do whatever the heck they want.I wrote our vows based on our reading. "By a mutual commitment to creating an atmosphere of care, consideration and respect, by a willingness to face the tensions and anxieties that underlie human life, you can make your wedded life a source of great strength and joy. Your love for one another and your willingness to accept each others’ strong points and weaknesses with understanding and respect will provide a foundation for continued growth and intimacy.Nirvana and Moogle, the love and friendship that has developed and grown between the two of you has become that strong foundation on which you wish to build and share your lives.READING:To Love is Not to Possess by James Kavanaugh To love is not to possess,To own or imprison,Nor to lose one's self in another.Love is to join and separate,To walk alone and together,To find a laughing freedomThat lonely isolation does not permit.It is finally to be ableTo be who we really areNo longer clinging in childish dependencyNor docilely living separate lives in silence,It is to be perfectly one's selfAnd perfectly joined in permanent commitmentTo another–and to one's inner self.Love only endures when it moves like waves,Receding and returning gently or passionately,Or moving lovingly like the tideIn the moon's own predictable harmony,Because finally, despite a child's scarsOr an adult's deepest wounds,They are openly free to beWho they really are–and always secretly were,In the very core of their beingWhere true and lasting love can alone abide.VOWSIn honor of the solemn pledge you are about to make, and symbolizing its unbroken perpetuity, please join hands (wrap with handfasting rope which I am making from various black ribbons and materials).Nirvana, do you take Moogle to be your Wife, promising to honor, cherish and protect her, comfort her in times of distress, have and to hold in sickness and health, in joy and sorrow, forsaking all others and holding only unto her forevermore, pledging your friendship, loyalty and love without reservation to Moogle? (I do) Moogle, do you take Nirvana to be your Husband, promising to honor, cherish and protect him, comfort him in times of distress, have and to hold in sickness and health, in joy and sorrow, forsaking all others and holding only unto him forevermore, pledging your friendship, loyalty and love without reservation to Nirvana? (I do)In so much as the two of you have agreed to live together in Matrimony, having promised your love for each other by these vows, and joining your hands together, in accordance with the law of the state of CA and by the virtue of the authority vested in me by the Lord Jesus Christ, it gives me great honor and pleasure to now pronounce you husband and wife.May you live out your days in joy,May you live in one another’s company in peace,And may your days be filled with all you have endured to bring you to this place.May you endlessly delight in one anotherand may you love and fulfill each other always.Groom, you may kiss your bridePlease turn and face your family.Congratulations; Mr. and Mrs. Nirvana."Not sure why the font got bigger. Hmm.
  • Options
    We are very blessed to have a close friend who is an ordained minister. He will be performing our ceremony in the small chapel attached to our reception hall. The ceremony is somewhat traditional (lots of conservative relatives) but with quirky touches like our "ring bear" (you have to check the bio...he's adorable), our family candle, and our readings & music ( mix of Christian and non Christian sources).
  • Options
    Yeah.. I really need to get on this.  We're getting married in Rich's dad's church which is a First UCC, so it's a christian ceremony as written.  I was raised catholic (and then quit) and Rich is agnostic/atheist depending on what day it is.  The pastor said we can make pretty much any changes we want.  I completely lack inspiration, however.  I have no reading, no vows, and no songs picked out.  Any suggestions would be very helpful.
  • Options
    Amblizman, feel free to use anything from our vows if you like. I also went to a wedding where they did a reading from the Velveteen Rabbit, not a dry eye in the audience lol It was very sweet.
  • Options
    We are getting married in a Methodist Church.  I am Catholic, but I haven't gotten an annulment from my first marriage yet, so that option was out. He was raised in this church and his parents got married there, which will be cool. It was important to them and I was ambivalent, so it works! =-D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards