Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

DIY Shoes?

I'm going as much DIY as possible for our wedding - we have a woods-y/outdoors-y/state park theme going for our wedding (make sense? LOL). Anyway - I suddenly had to desire to buy green shoes to wear with my dress. Random, and totally not me. So I've been looking and looking and looking and 1) Don't want to spend the money and 2) am having a hard time finding what I would like. So, I have a pair of white leather peep toe heels I bought on clearance at JCP and first thought about covering them in fabric. I've since read that's really hard to do. So I thought about spray painting them a moss-y green. Has anyone ever spray painted shoes before?? Was it worth it?Thanks, ladies!

Re: DIY Shoes?

• Options
    Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never spray painted shoes before, but I know of people that have handpainted them. I think if you are going for one color, it should be fairly easy. You are going to want to find a paint that is fairly flexible or absorbent and resistant to peeling/cracking. I am afraid that spray paint may crack on the leather of the shoe....an oil-based paint wouldn't crack, but I would worry about it absorbing too much in some spots and not others depending on the leather, therefore making it look uneven...There are a couple of products made especially for changing the color of shoes or renewing the color of scuffed/worn shoes. One is called Nu-Life, which is a spray, and then there is also leather dyes (both are Kiwi products, though other brands may have something similar). Check out this link: (Scroll down a bit once you get to the page) http://www.heelingtouch.com/shop/index.php?cat=4&shop=1#
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've spray painted shoes before for a Halloween costume, and from a distance they looked... just okay. Up close, the paint had pooled in the seams and like Bimbi posted, they did have some cracking. I think my technique (impatient, should have done many thin coats) was a little off, but I wouldn't choose that route again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My aunt spray painted hers and they were sticky and looked ok from a distances. I would not recommend it. She never wore them and got different shoes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I spray painted a pair of heels for graduation and they came out fine.  They weren't sticky or cracked at all.  I did two thin coats and let them dry in between.  I wore them more than once without any problems or paint coming off.
  • Options
    mrs.katematchmrs.katematch member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd maybe look for used white wedding shoes (cheap, and often only worn once) in a satin that you could dye.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out DSW clearance section- I got my wedding shoes from there and they were $19.99
    imageimage
  • Options
    spillerspiller member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're around a size 8 and wouldn't mind a patent pair of peep toe mary janes in dark green, I might have your "something borrowed" covered!(P.S. If interested, page me on The Nest - I only saw this b/c a friend sent it to me. Oh, and don't spray paint shoes. It sounds like a mess. I agree with Katematch's advice.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought of just using the shoes you have, and giving it a green accent that you are looking for...I DIY spiced up my shoes, check out in bio.  I just added an earring, which looks like a brooch, but they're studs.  This route seems much easier then painting them, i too at one point, thought of doing this... but changed my mind after hearing the no's.
  • Options
    0stephka0stephka member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great. Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards