Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Father/Daughter Dilemma

Father-Daughter Dances/Mother-Son Dances..... I know these are pretty traditional, and I know that it would mean a lot to my FMIL..... But I really don't want to do it! My dad isn't in the picture, and I really didn't want to draw attention to this! I know I'm not the first bride in the world to encounter this situation..... Should we do the dances anyways? I could dance with my brother (very close), but what kind of song would I choose????

Re: Father/Daughter Dilemma

• Options
    Please don't take that moment away from your fmil because your dad isn't in the picture.  You can skip your part of the dance if you like or dancing with your brother would be very lovely.  That dance means a lot to your fmil so please don't take it from her.
  • Options
    ditto kmm.  Dancing with my son at his wedding was a moment I had looked forward to for a long long time.  And it was very special for us both.My wonderful DIL's dad had passed away when she was younger, but she wouldn't have dreamed of keeping that moment from her new DH and her new MIL!  =)She did in fact, dance with her brother.  I don't remember the song, but there are millions of songs out there that could work:  songs about friendship (You've Got a Friend) or so many others.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Why not skip the father daughter but still let them do the  mother son dance. The mother son dance matters a lot to mothers of grooms and it seems silly to skip that just because you want to skip the father daughter dance.  
  • Options
    Not having the father-daughter dance and still having the mother-son dance will not draw attention to the fact that your father isn't in the picture.  As others said, don't take away something that means a lot to your FMIL just because you aren't planning on having a father-daughter dance.Actually, most of the guests probably won't even notice it is missing.
  • Options
    My parents have choosen NOT to attend my wedding (1. My husband and I are already married, 2. its too "emotionally "draining" on them.) We have decided to still have the dances. My husband will dance with my daughter (his step daughter). I will sit it out. Do what YOU feel comfortable with!! just do a Mother/Son dance.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My dad is in the picture but doesn't dance. We skipped the child parent dance.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I most likely will not be dancing with my father. He pretty much isn't in the picture, and not even sure if he'll be at the wedding. My younger brother whom I'm close with will walk me down the aisle, and the father/daughter dance will be replaced by a dance with my Mom. But like PP said; do what you feel is best. Talk to your FI about what you want to do as well. Good luck :)
    There is no death. Only a change of worlds
    life | home
  • Options
    I would do the brother /sister dance i think everyone will think thats a cute idea. esp since your close that makes it even more special heres a list i found: http://www.partypros.com/lists/bb.shtml

My Randomly Updated Planning Bio
    EVERYTHING FOR SALE- JUST ASK!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    What about your grandpa (I did one w/ him and dad)? Or how about dancing w/ FFIL?
  • Options
    I went to a wedding a couple of years ago and, as a guest, this was the most excruciatingly boring part of the reception.  It seems like it went on forever and had absolutely no meaning to anyone beside the family members.  It was like they were having their own party and we were just onlookers - b/c we had no idea who all of the different people were.  I swear, there was the father/daughter, the mother/son, the in-laws with each other, the in-laws partners switched, etc.  It was the worst.  I was starving and falling asleep when it was over.  Consider limiting this part if you care about your guests. :)  We are doing the first dance with me and the future Hubby and me and my Dad will dance b/c he loves to dance - however, we will boogie, not drag around in a boring waltz, and then EVERYONE will get to dance and HAVE FUN.  Not just the family.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards