South Carolina-Charleston
Options

Caterers

Thank you to everyone who responded to my last post on dresses and venues- My friend has appointments a Bella and Gown Boutique.  She decided to have the reception at her parent’s house.  Does anyone have any opinions on the following: Cru, Good Food, Hamby, Duvall,  Tom Smith   I have contacted them all for more information, but I am looking for the inside scoop! I saw someone is using Tom Smith and is happy with the pricing.

Re: Caterers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've dealt with/been to events catered by Cru, Good Food, and Hamby's.  All good experiences.  Good Food catered my brothers wedding and my parents have used Hamby's a few times for catered cocktail parties, etc.  Granted I was a guest at all of these events and didn't deal with them directly, but the food was good!I, and others around town, didn't have a good experience with Gown Boutique.  They were snooty, rude and unprofessional.  I know she already has the appointment, and there are gorgeous dresses there, but I told myself that day I would tell anyone who would listen that I would never take my business there.   FWIW!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kelkigskelkigs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to Gown Boutique twice, and my overall experience was positive.  BUT adding to what Mia mentioned about being cautious of that store... there was someone on these message boards that also had a positive experience there until she purchased her dress.  Then she said she was treated horrible.I HIGHLY recommend that your friend visit White on Daniel Island.  Is your friend looking for classic wedding food or something a little different??  Here are just some of my OPINIONS...Catering... besides some of the ones you mentioned I suggest looking into Granville's Catering and Charleston Cafe Catering.  Hamby's is good classic/typical wedding food, but your friend will more likely be one of many events they will cater on her wedding day.  They have been around Charleston for a long time.  If your friend goes to meet with them, I highly suggest she meet with Elaine and not the other person.My friend Brenda used Tom Smith and was happy.  Their prices are extremely reasonable and the food tasted good for the most part -  the shrimp and grits were really tasty.My friend Carrie was required to use Good Food Catering since she had her reception at the Rice Mill.  The bar prices were really high, but the food was excellent.Cru catered one of my office parties.  The food was very good - esp the mac & cheese.  I had a coworker do a tasting with them for her wedding and she was not impressed.I don't know anything about Duvall.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good food great food and good communication. Heard good things about Cru as well. I reached out to Hamby and even had a meeting- never got a response or proposal so a waste of my time--- the lady there assigned to me was pretty awful but I have heard Elaine is great. I am going with Cafe Catering. A catering unit out of this famous southern cafe that used to be downtown and is now in Mt. P. Lauren is awesome there- very responsive and gave us a huge tasting so we could pick what we want. Cafe is very affordable and flexible as well and can manager bar too.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto - go to White on DI.  Also, did anyone mention Maddison Row in that other post?  They were wonderful, and sell most of their samples. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm using TS Catering... He is really nice and handles rentals.  I only met with him once, but he answers emails quickly and gives some good advice.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We haven't had our reception with Cru yet, but we were blown away during our tasting. Literally everything was knock-your-socks-off good, and they had us taste our entire proposed menu, not just a few samples from it. Jenny is wonderful. They are inexpensive compared to others, I think because they do such a volume of business. Opinions on others (only based on proposals and tastings): Good Food - bar is overpriced, but they do have "good food" Hamby - good if you want something very casual, but not for us Duvall - overpriced I would also recommend Mediterra Catering - their food is wonderful and they are so great about keeping in contact. The deciding factor that swayed us towards Cru is the fact that Mediterra uses staffing companies for their servers, while Cru uses their own employees.
  • Options
    MellandNateMellandNate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Regal Catering, and I can't say enough good things about their food, pricing, staff, and presentation. www.regalcatering.netKarla and Michelle were so excited for me that now they are like family. I still keep in touch with them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Has anyone had experience with Carolina Catering?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards