Latino Weddings

Music Ideas?

Buenos Días, chicas! There has been some posting about music, but I think there should be a specific thread for music. What songs do you just love? What type of latin music are you going have for the ceremony, reception? I'll start. I don't have the exact songs selected yet, but in general, I'm think that some guitar music with no singing would be nice as background music. Also, I think "Buena Vista Social Club" and "Omara Portuondo" songs would be very nice in a nostalgic kind of way. Please share your music ideas. Let's help each other out! Gracias!! Ingrid

Re: Music Ideas?

• ingrid95ingrid95 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry about the salutation. I don't know what happened. I tried to say "Buenos Dias" :-)
  • drod58drod58 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Buenos dias I'm having a Catholic Ceremony so there I can't do much. At the reception for the first dance we are going to do a Surprise Dance.  We are starting with a slow song Te amare by Marc Anthony, then we are doing the following songs: Suavemente-Elvis Crespo, Cotton Eye Joe, YMCA, La Macarena, Cha Cha Slide, Twist, and Apache, then go back to the end of Te amare. For the rest of the night mainly I will have Salsa, Merengue, Bachata, few R&B, Hip Hop and two or three old Rock & Roll
  • drod58drod58 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm still looking for ideas for the bridal party and our entrance.  I want an up beat spanish songs
  • edited December 2011
    We are also having a catholic ceremony so it's going to be the traditional classic music. I'm hoping the priest is flexible with other music. As for the reception, we are going to be playing a variety of music from hip-hop, R&B, dance, bachata, salsa, merengue, and reggaeton. I'm always updating the list. I do have a music playlist in my bio if you want to see. It's at the bottom of my bio :)
  • qt07qt07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well I am no plans of getting married right now, but I wanted to chip in some ideas foro you. I love Camila and I find their lyrics to be really nice, if you love Salsa (like I do), try some Victor Manuelle, Gilberto Santa Rosa, or Olga Tanon. You should check out this guy Micky Taveras, he has some really nice songs that come both in salsa and romantic versions (i.e. Me gustas, Apesar del tiempo, Que me pasa, etc) He's kind of old school, but I LOVE him (I like more "old school" salsa lol). He's been out of the Music industry for some years now, but I'm pretty sure you can still find his music. Good luck with the wedding Chica!
  • edited December 2011
    Catholics here, too - little to no variation on traditional music there, but I'm cool with that. It's the most important part of the day, so I like that our music and vows will be traditional. Reception - OMG FI and I keep adding and refining the playlist every chance we get. We're giving our DJ about 8 hrs of music and saying, play these and only these. We're sort of music nazi's. Esp cause we both love salsa (it's how we met after all). So it'll be about 65% Spanish and 35% American music (hip hop, some classic rock - Bon Jovi! Jersey baby! :-) ). Absolutely ZERO disco, ZERO line dances, ZERO conga lines. Both of us are not at all fans of organized dancing. Like I said - music nazi's! That said, we're having some smooth sounds for cocktail hour - very Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin. And interspersed with some smooth Santana as well, and def BVSC. For dancing, obvs tons of Spanish music - we're even putting reco's for places to learn salsa on our wedding website. No excuses not to dance! Our first dance will be to Mana "Bendita Tu Luz", it's been our song from the very beginning. Our second song, is a salsa we're choreographing with our salsa teacher, a shortened version of "La Vida Es Carnaval", also "our" song from forever ago. That'll come after cake is cut. :-)
  • edited December 2011
    Hm we're having most of the stuff others have mentioned but also some things from Linda Ronstadt's Spanish album Canciones de mi Padre, and lots of Ozomatli!
  • edited December 2011
    ooooh Lysandra! WE LOVE OZO! Seen them every time they've come to NYC for the past 2 years. If we have unlimited budget, we'd totally have them play at the reception. Sigh... if only we bought that megamillions ticket on Fordham Road! :-)
  • edited December 2011
    Hello fellow latinas! I just decided to incorporate some latin music. My FH is Italian and doesnt speak spanish (except for the curse words, lol). We're eloping so there wont be any dancing or anything but I LOVE RICARDO MONTANER! So romantic! I know I'm bringing it back old school but it brings me back to my childhood. If I were having a party I would add some old school salsa "Ojitos Chinos" Gran Combo. -Karla with the Ojitos Chinos, lol, I'm a dork
  • ingrid95ingrid95 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I too love Ricardo Montaner! There are some Luis Miguel songs that are great, too. Oh, and Camila's song "Todo Cambio" has been stuck in my head for some time now, lol. I think some Frank Sinatra, Michael Buble, etc. would also be nice background music during the meal.
  • edited December 2011
    Hello there! Ceremony~No latin music Cocktail hour~Light music; English and Spanish (Marc Anthony, Juan Luis Guerra, Victor Manuelle) Reception~Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarty time!! We're some music and dancing hispanics, c mon my family's Puerto Rican..And we gets DOWN! So after dinner, its gonna be all reggaeton (the clean ones), salsa, merengue, bachata, pop, some clean hiphop and r&B. Now MY only issue is, is that FH's family is Pentocostal, they dont dance, drink or really party..So they will sorta just sit back and watch.. I went to a wedding recently and they danced to "Bendita tu Luz" as their first dance. Me and FH are dancing to Marc Anthonys "My Baby You"
    Melissa ~ Wife to Eddie; Soccer Mom to Mikel, Mikaela & Baby #3 Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards