Maine
Options

How many bridesmaids is too many bridesmaids?

Hello ladies, here's my dilemma...I have a very large group of VERY close girlfriends so I'm having trouble choosing my bridesmaids. I have my sister that is my maid of honor and my friend from jr. high/highschool that I plan to ask to be a bridesmaid and then from there I'm not sure what to do. If I ask everyone that I want to ask then there are 5 more which would bring my total to 7 and I can't decide if 7 is too many! There is no way for me to split it up either, it's really either two (my sister and friend from highschool, and I know I want more than 2) or 7...we are all too close and to top it off 3 of the 7 are sisters/step sisters. There are just over 200 guests invited to the wedding.I've been stressing over this since we got engaged in July and since we're closing in on the wedding being 1 year away I think it's time to make a decision. Any advice?

Re: How many bridesmaids is too many bridesmaids?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Having many bridesmaids is becoming more common so I don't think it would "look" strange to have so many. The better question is--do you want to organize and coordinate seven bridesmaids? It can be a ton of work getting them to agree to dresses, colors, etc. If you're comfortable with doing the coordination, then go for it. If you think it would be more of a headache, I'd stick with 2. I had a similar situation--it was have one maid of honor or a maid of honor and 8 bridesmaids. I couldn't deal with organizing that many people so I just had a maid of honor. But two of my cousins gave readings, and the others offered to throw me a shower, decorated the "honeymoon suite" etc. They were fine with my decision and found ways to assign themselves special roles. Also, when MH and I gave our thank you speech at the cake-cutting, I made special mention of these people and how much their friendship and love has meant to me. In the end, everyone seemed happy so I think it worked out fine.
  • Options
    kev'sbridekev'sbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    from my own experience, it is a lot easier to have fewer bridesmaids, but it is completley up to you.  Remember that depending on your wedding they can have other roles (readings, etc.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd have gone crazy with that many...  the more you have, the harder it is to coordinate schedules, tastes and everything.  It also costs you more to buy jewelry and gifts for them. Also, chosing our wedding party on Day 1 of our engagement is something I regret now.  I had a bridesmaid back out, and it has been heartbreaking.  FI also has gone back and forth about regretting his decisions, as people may not be as supportive as you want/need when the time comes.  There's really no rush on this decision, until you get to the piont where you need to choose dresses and flowers.  As PP said, there are many other roles special people can play in your wedding besides being bridesmaids. 
  • Options
    mainemommymainemommy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im getting married in June 2010 & I still dont have my WP set. Ive been fighting it with my FI. He wants a large group. I want one on each side. For what we're going for I think it would look silly to have 7 people on each side like he wants, it would be a huge money saver to cut it down. My best advice. Wait. Get several months of wedding planning in, see who is most helpful, cares most, & who deserves a spot. Its not like you have to have your list set in stone a year ahead of time. Its what we're doing & it may be what makes me win our fight (His supposed best friend he NEEDS to have in our wedding cant even take the 30 seconds to respond to the email I sent them asking for their address for our STDs).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you can handle the stress of coordinating 7 maids, go for it! My cousin had 6 groomsmen (I don't know if he chose 6 because his wife chose 6 bridesmaids or the other way around or what). It looked beautiful in pictures and the space didn't look crowded at all (the ceremony was outdoors but in front of the venue's gazebo, so it was somewhat limited)...Good luck!
    "Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky." -- Ranier Maria Rilke BabyFruit Ticker image Me:37 MH:38 TTC since Oct 2011 BFP/Beta#1: 13 6/20/12; Beta#2: 20 6/22/12; MC/Beta#3: 9 6/27/12 BFP#2/Beta#1: 9/21/12 S/PAIFW
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    7 is not too many, but keep in mind the cost involved in having all 7. There are bridal party gifts, flowers & hair and makeup if you go that route.  In addition to the hassle of making sure they're all "on track". 
    Planning bio My DIY blog The Maine Bio

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Jaime has read 18 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just have to say that I agree with all the previous posts. 7 is definitely not "too many". I believe there was a girl on here a few years ago who had 9 on each side. I love the look of a really big bridal party, but do keep in mind all the stress and expense of having that many girls. I only have 4 and they couldn't agree on the bachelorette party plans and ended up dragging me into it, they couldn't agree on a dress, two of them in particular have very clashing personalities and it really comes out when you're trying to plan a wedding. And like Jaimebeth mentioned, there are the flowers and bridal party gifts to pay for and that all adds up REAL quick!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards