New Jersey - South
Options

Wedding Planner?

I am grappling with the idea of using one, has anyone done so? It really isn't "in my budget" but I feel like I can't put all my ideas together. Will be getting married in Cape May next September and I already feel overwhelmed.

Re: Wedding Planner?

• Options
    nygirl07nygirl07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My brothers wife used a day of coordiantor and we found her more annoying then helpful.  Yeah she did alot b/c my SIL rented all her table linens so she needed someone to put them all on....I thought about it but I'm not renting anything and my venue does everything so I'm not wasting the money.Don't go broke over it....being overwhelmed is part of the process :) If you really can't afford one then make a list of all your "to do's" and do one at a time.  I literally have a list broken down into months on what I have to get done....you'll figure out real fast that some things aren't that important.  As helpful as theknot is, it also gives you other ideas you feel your suppose to do (personalized napkins, candy bar, etc)...none of that stuff is needed.Good Luck!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hired Erin from Proud to Plan because I was feeling extremely overwhelmed (planning from another city) and I know that on the day of the wedding, I don't want to be the person putting out any fires - I just want to enjoy the day! It wasn't exactly in my budget either, but after one meeting with her, I felt so much better knowing she would take control.  She had so many great ideas and helped give me a vision for the day.  I made the room for her in budget and she's already been worth her weight in gold to me.   
    Yorkie Jenga

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    soccer4lifesoccer4life member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went back and forth as well. I had ideas but wanted someone else to deal with it. I agree with the pp as a DOC is great. We went with a partial planning package, so I can do some, but I also get help along the way!  We emailed quite a few people, and prices were very different from person to person! you can email me at sockrgirl45@yahoo.com if you would like the info I found out! I am really happy with who we picked and know she will do a great job!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    doesn't a DOC come with your venue? I don't really think a planner is necessary because once you hire the vendors they pretty much just do their jobs. It does get stressful sometimes, but I think that is all part of the experience.
  • Options
    Linda123Linda123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only area of the day I felt this would have been helpful was at the church.  I was such a control freak that I didnt tell my Husband or any of the Groomsmen that the progams needed to get set out ( I dropped them off at the church the day before but never asked anyone to make sure they were out LOL!) When I got there I asked my Brother in Law to distribute them before we started.    I also didnt really have anyone coordinate an exit from the church.  We did a receiving line in the back and then the plan was to go out and do the bubble blowing thing.  Well.....I didnt relly communicate that with anyone so it didnt happen, everyone kind of left and we went and took pictures up on the alter, no biggie but it was one thing looking back I would have asked someone to kind of head up........You could always ask someone to head up those few small details at the church or a DOC might be helpful in that area but not sure if its worth the $So besides the church aspect I really didnt see a need for it......The people at our venue were wonderful and all of our vendors and everything fell into place :) Good Luck!
  • Options
    nygirl07nygirl07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My venue literally does everything so I felt no need for that...as for the church, like the PP said I'll just ask someone to take care of it. We aren't doing an exit from the church and I'm having the priest announce that we'll be in the back of the church to greet those who won't be attending the reception.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it depends on the type of person you are. Some people really enjoy doing a lot on their own and others don't. I think it also depends on the type of vision you have for your wedding if you are planning on having an elaborate wedding it might be beneficial to have someone else help. My aunt used to do wedding planning so she has been unofficially helping me with a few things like negotiating contracts with vendors and giving me recommendations. I really enjoy planning my wedding and will probably be bored when its over which is why I am not going with a planner. If you think it will be beneficially and can financially swing it I don't think it would hurt.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used Erin from Proud to Plan for our DOC.  My DH and I are so happy we hired a DOC.  Even though we used her just as a DOC, we had several meetings with her to discuss ideas.  Erin also gave us recommendations/suggestions whenever we asked.  Yes there was a wedding coordinator at our venue but once we were introduced at the reception, we never saw her again.  Our matire'd was very helpful but I liked knowing that Erin and her assistant were purely there for us and knew what we expected.  Like after our first dance/parent dances, I was unsure of what we were suppose to do next.  It was comforting to know that Erin was always there guiding us on what to do.  At our consultation with Erin, she went over a lot of ideas/details and what vendors we booked.  Her knowledge impressed us and we are glad we had a DOC.  Definitely worth the money! Her company also designs great paper products.  GL!
  • Options
    calicchccalicchc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice! Sorry it took so long to respond, I work nights and I posted at work at must have totally forgotten...yikes. See what I mean about needing a planner?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok so me and my fiance went back and forth and I think that if you have the time, vision, energy to plan it yourself then do so...if your venue has a good coordinator then you may be fine. if you don't have a good venue coordinator I would suggest at least a day of coordinator....TRUST me they pay for themselves because they sometimes get discounts on things that you may not get on your own. if you are very busy, may not have a vision for your day and get overwhelmed at the thought of planning and executing your wedding then i say HIRE ONE...one your big day you want to relax, when you are torn between 2 things you may need an opinion and someone to use and delagate and work with you.... yes if you get a planner that is not great at what they do then it would be a waste but if you get a highly recommended one that is great I think that it will be more than worth it Erin from proud to plan is great and I have Isis from POSH events and she is phenominal. I HIGHLY recommend her.    
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had Erin from Proud to Plan with me last year when I got married in Cape May.  I can only tell you that it was the best money spent.  Waking up on my wedding day and having someone there to literally work for me, work with me and make sure every teeny tiny last detail was in place was awesome.  The venue had a really great coordinator on site but she wasn't working with me for 10 months leading up to the wedding.  The venue coordinator made sure that she had my head count, table set up and menu selections along with my vendors.  Erin made sure my vendors were there, were set up, and that any technical, creative or aesthetic decision was handled immediately and everything was executed perfectly. Hire her.  You will not be disappointed.
  • Options
    soccer4lifesoccer4life member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Heidi at entertainme-de.com for our 01/10 wedding and so far she has been great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards