New York-Upstate

Crystal Cove venue?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site.  My fiance and I are looking at booking Crystal Cove in Averill Park, for our ceremony/reception in September 2010.  We looked at the place yesterday and it has beautiful scenery, the owners are retired and it is a family business and they seem very passionate about what they do.  I could only find one review online and it said the food was great but when they showed up 2 hours before nothing was set up yet although in the end with the help of a "pushy bridesmaid" the event came together beautifully.  This still makes me nervous...does anyone know anything about the venue, any information will help...thanks!!!

Re: Crystal Cove venue?

• edited December 2011
    I visted Crystal Cove and FELL in LOVE---but it was just a tad out of our budget :o( if you can afford it- DO it!! I would have in a heart beat. They are a great team or so I felt when my FI and I met with them. By the way, we are getting hitched in Sept also, the 24th. How about you???

Datsyuks & Ferdy- We Go Together Like...

• edited December 2011
    Thanks! I'm glad someone else loves it!  We really wanted by the water, that and good food are our main priorities, and I could not find any place cheaper...if you have please share!  Our budget is also very tight, I would love the Sagamore in Bolton Landing...but OMG that is way out of our price range.We haven't officially set the date, but we are looking at September 18 or 26 if we go with this venue, we're basing the date around the venue we choose and their availability since most places are already booked for September.  I just moved to Albany last year so I'm not really sure when the leaves change here as Western NY is a lot colder, but we're thinking that there will probably be some color around those dates.
  • edited December 2011
    actually- what we have so far is using FI father's Masonic Lodge (crossing fingers that we can b/c it hasn't been finalized yet) and unfortunately we have to do all the assembling and tear down ourselves as well as the cooking etc.---which is gonna suck...........actually just posting this made me kind ticked......realizing this......anyhow---- thats how we are having it so cheap.....ps in regards to fall colors leaves start falling off trees and changing color closer to Oct.

• edited December 2011
    OK thanks maybe we'll go with the 26th then to be safer, I don't want it to be too cold, but we are having a fall theme so we need a little color :-).   Ugh, I can't imagine the pain in that...do you have family that is familiar with putting on parties so that you have help?  I was getting so frustrated that there are no caterers around here for a reasonable price.  I was in tears 2 nights ago about wedding cost, so I feel that pain!  I just have to keep reminding myself that it's just one day that will be a blur in my mind 20 years from now, and the marriage is what's most important, so we're doing it on the cheap too, not worth debt in the future.
  • edited December 2011
    oh one more thing we're doing to save $$,  We want our rehersal to be really laid back and fun, so to save money we are probably going to rent a pavillion at a park (possibly crossings of colonie) it's only about $40, and do burgers, dogs, salads... we're thinking the whole rehersal dinner should be around $100$200 for 50 people (got to love Sams Club!), keeps things fun and relaxed before a stressfull day and inexpensive!  so if that sounds like something you and your FI like it will def help the budget, or order pizzas! 
  • edited December 2011
    it's a long story on my end---but no one is paying for anything other than us---which is probly how it is supposed to be. So I feel your frustration on the crying over the whole money thing. One day, pending my breaking point level, I may rant on here--lmao...but you are spot on about the marriage is what its all about and not the gltz and glamour.....it's who you spend your time with on your big day and not WHAT you spend to make it happen that REALLY mattersHang in there. You should come on over to the September 2010 board if you haven't already

• edited December 2011
    Well this is gonna sound weird but i looked at crystal cove and loved it, but that was going to be for my wedding when i was engaged to my DD father, That fell through thank god but i didnt think it would be right for my actual wedding. But the place is beautiful, and if i hadent done it the first time i would of the second. Go with what feels right. Im getting married on the 26 of septemebr so lucky day i MHO. Good luck. Go with what feels right. And i completely agree with the cost of them. My parents are paying for the reception, but even with that we are spending 10,000 as well with all the other stuff. Good luck.
  • ckobrideckobride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also looked there and was impressed with meeting the chef, although he did seem to brag a bit. However, a friend of our family has gone to 2 different weddings there and been very disappointed in the food and service both times. At one of the weddings our friends arrived 20 minutes prior to the ceremony and nothing was set up, so they (and a few other early guests) had to help the staff set tables and get ready! Our friends strongly discouraged us from considering this venue. Sorry to be a downer - it is a gorgeous location! Try Altamont Manor and Appel Inn, they are similiarly priced if you get a reasonable caterer (try Guiliano's) and have outstanding reputations.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks!  We actually went to see a wedding there before we booked and were very dissapointed.  The bathrooms while not impressive to begin with were FILTHY there were empty bottles all over the property from a prior event and because it rained they had to have the ceremony in the pavillion which I understand, but even after the ceremony began the wait staff was exiting half dressed...I was so dissapointed because I loved the venue.We choose to go with Riverstone Manor in Glenville, NY instead...October 23, 2010!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards