Ohio-Columbus

Reception...choices, choices, choices!

I got engaged...last night!

In true OCD fashion, I came home and typed up a rough guest list. I'll have between 125-175...ish...

Looking into receptions today, and I've sent a few emails, but you all have first hand experience.

I'm looking at a Friday wedding. Not wanting more than $20-25 per plate of food. If I can bring my own alcohol, I will...so much cheaper!

Budget wedding here, but not wanting to look so, obviously.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Reception...choices, choices, choices!

• edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement!

Feel free to tell us a little more about yourself and your FI. What dates are you considering?

I think it is great that you drafted up a guest list, but just remember you will probably be revising it quite a few more times between now and the time that invites go out. And if you are doing STD's, make sure you have your list finalized before you send them.

However, the very first thing should be to get a budget in place. How much can you AFFORD to spend? Don't go beyond your means, its not worth it. I also recommend deciding upon the big things first (venue, reception site, photographer, flowers, etc) before you worry about finalizing the guest list.
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats!  I feel you - FI and I are advance planners, too.  However, I agree with MissySue - figure out what you can afford.  Planning a wedding is a bit more complicated than other events/parties and you kind of have to think out of the usual order.  This board will be really helpful for you!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats on the engagement! When are you looking to get married? There are lots of options out there and some great venues. 

Good luck in your search!
  • edited December 2011
    Well, a Friday is still likely to be very expensive. 
    When are you getting married? What is your overall vision? And what is your budget? 
    Mine is 5k, so you wanna talk budget weddings, let's talk budget weddings. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats Congrats Congrats! Ask your parents if they are willing to help, my parents are willing but they have not told us a number yet and we have been engaged for like 8 months! Definitely think twice about where you choose, we were at a venue and decided to change our mind, so we lost our 1000 dollar deposit. but we will save so much money and we will get what we want. 

Decide what is most important to you and what you can cut, things add up quickly. 

I would look into places that are at least bring your own alcohol, that will save so much money, not quite sure about bringing the own caterer, I feel like ours will be pretty close to the same price as what i have seen. 

Good luck and search search search, we save about 11 reception venues, before we found the one we went with. So don't settle and get discouraged. 
  • csh96csh96 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome to the board!  As the other ladies have said, definitely figure out how much you can and want to spend first.  There are a lot of options in the bring your own alcohol category.  When you firgure out more details or even the area of town you want, this board can be extremely helpful. 

Happy planning!
    image &nbsp ? image
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks! It will definitely be in June of 2013, so long as the church I want is available then. I'm in the New Albany area, so somewhere near me would be best I wouldn't rule out something downtown though. I wanted 6/7/13, but we have a few teachers and a few with children...too close to the end of school.

I'd say our budget is in the area of $5-8k, leaning more towards the $5k, lol.

I'm sure my dad will want to help out, but my FI and I are willing to do it on our own. I don't like hotel-feeling venues as much, LOVE the look of Smith Bros. but am afraid to hear the $.

I've got a friend who is a free-lance photog, I just want daisies as flowers and can probably manage them myself.

I just did a rough guest list because my FI and I each come from a large family, and I'm suprised at how low the guest numbers turned out...obviously it will change.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    hello and welcome to the board! congratulations on your engagement! your vision sounds lovely! i suggest picking up a copy of columbus bride so you can see their venues listed near your area and their approximate cost (in the back of the mag). it's a great starting point.
  • edited December 2011
    I'll pick it up in the a.m. on the way to work! Totally spent $25 on mags today, lol! I got a lot figured out today, I wish it would come sooner than a year and a half!

Keep the affordable, adorable venues coming!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I go to church in New Albany! Where do you go?
  • csh96csh96 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I stopped by New Albany Links when I was looking at venues.  They have a gorgeous patio space if you are looking for something outdoors.  I'll have to find my papers, if I still have them, and will let you know the costs.  They are not BYOB though.
    image &nbsp ? image
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The ceremony would be at St. Pauls in Westerville, if it is available. I sent the Links an email, so if you don't have the info, hopefully I'll get a hold of them.

GapeachOH, if I may ask, where is your reception?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Some helpful tips, 

get a seperate email account, especially if you go to a bridal show. I went to about 2 bridal shows and they are totally worth it, i think, i got about 200 dollars off and I got coupons in the mall that were 2 dollar entries for each one i went.

Keep everything, I thought that after I chose a reception page that I did not need all the information on other venues, but it is helpful for other brides and you never know when you might need to switch. 
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats!! You are definitely on the ball for a June 2013 wedding! I'm going to tag along with Tiffany's bridal show advice and say when you go to the bridal shows, take labels with all of your info. I felt like my fingers were going to fall off before I even made it half way around the Aladdin Shrine bridal show. But the info you get there is soooo helpful.

What is your style? I'm not familiar with Smith Brothers really, as far as decor goes.
    It's for sure I'm gonna love you all the way. Frank Sinatra
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards