Chinese Weddings

Vietnamese Engagement Ceremony

Well... I now have to plan an Engagement Party due to my IL's urging.  My family generally combines it with the wedding ceremonies since it's convenient for everyone, but I couldn't compromise myself out of this one.  Did anyone do this and how did you handle the organization?  They are usually all over the place because there is no "rehearsal" persay.  Did you make a program?  The last one my family actually participated in was about a decade ago.  My parents don't seem to remember how things go... Any help would be appreciated.TIA!

Re: Vietnamese Engagement Ceremony

• HopalleeHopallee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having a traditional engagement party next week actually (the wedding isn't till next year). Basically my family is hosting , they rented a tent, a small band and a BBQ caterer as they live on a log cabin on a lake. Since my family is white we're structuring it as a standard family summer party with a traditional arrival ceremony, so 20 mins into the party the FIL's will all arrive with 10 men carrying gifts on gold plates, one with the pig, one with the marriage cakes, wine etc. A few words will be exchanged and then we just hang out. That's  the plan anyways.
  • edited December 2011
    We did this, and it was pretty much a smaller more casual version of a wedding. done in springtime.
  • Jbiggs1919Jbiggs1919 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OK....I need some help here....I will be proposing to my girlfriend, who is Vietnamese, very soon. I am not Vietnamese but would like to incorporate some tradition into my proposal. I would like to ask for her parents blessing by bringing betrothal presents of round lacquered boxes composed of gifts of areca nuts and betel leaves, tea, cake, fruits, wines and other delicacies covered with red cloth. However I am not having any luck finding any.  If anyone has any ideas or other traditions that I should think about...please let me know.  I am located in MN.Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards