Jewish Weddings
Options

Yet another Ketubah question

I found the jessyjudaica website on this board and want to order our Ketubah from there.  I am currently just under 9 weeks out and I understand it takes around 7 weeks to come in.  The lady I talked to there said I would be fine, but I'm a little concerned.  I am waiting for the Rabbi to approve the wording and he isn't the fastest in getting back to me.Will I be OK if I order it next week?  Also, is this displayed at the wedding?  I thought that it was but then FI was like, how does it get signed?  I saw a post below on this that was somewhat helpful.  Also, we do not want to see each other beforehand (we are having an interfaith ceremony) so is it acceptable to sign the Ketubah afterwards or how does that work?I am not Jewish and although FI is, he is pretty clueless about weddings in general.  This board has been very helpful although I don't post often.  TIA.

Re: Yet another Ketubah question

• Options
    RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You should be okay to order it as long as she says that you will get it in time. People often do display the ketubah at the wedding though it is not required. Often people will put it in a frame but leave the glass out, or you could also mount it on a foam board and put plastic sheeting over it (and lift the plastic sheeting up to sign it). For Jewish weddings as far as I know you always sign the ketubah prior to the ceremony, though some people opt to do it during the ceremony as well though I'm not sure if that is okay according to Jewish Law. Because you are having an interfaith ceremony I don't think it would be a problem to sign it after the ceremony, though ultimately you should ask your Rabbi. hth!
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are signing it during the ceremony, and having all of our guests sign as witnesses.  (It will be a very small ceremony, so this will work for us.) The ketubah will be matted and framed before then, but the glass will not be in.  Our framer recommended this so that witnesses would not accidentally sign in an area that was going to be covered by the matting.  This will also make it easy to display it on an easel before and after the signing.You'll have to speak with the rabbi about whether it would be possible to do it after the ceremony.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    it's often read during the ceremony, but not necessarily displayed- that seems to be up to you if you want to display it or not. I agree with other people that you have to ask the rabbi about signing it after the ceremony.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    At my FSIL wedding (she's Jewish, he's not.. a Cantor did the ceremony) the ketubah was signed before hand BUT separately. She did it in one room with her witness and parents and Cantor and then he did it in another room with his witness, parents and Cantor. I never knew it could be done that way but I guess since it was basically interfaith it was fine. They had a totally Jewish ceremony though, so this might work for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards