Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

I Hate my photog. How should I fire him??

My fiance and I took engagement pictures with our photographer to realize that not only is he rude & non-attentive, but he seems to be simply going through the motions.  We relayed to him that we do not want posed and cookie-cutter pictures but that is what we got.  For our engagement announcement, we used a picture my mother took! In a majority of our engagement pictures, he photographed my back & not a single one had us looking at the camera!We have not yet signed a contract, only put down a deposit.What should I tell him?  Make up a story? Or tell him the truth??

Re: I Hate my photog. How should I fire him??

• Options
    koosh ballkoosh ball member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How much was the deposit? It is too bad you didn't sign a contract. It would have spelled out how much of your deposit you would get if you canceled.
  • Options
    skannenbergskannenberg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If your deposit is small enough that you are willing to lose it, just say that you decided to go another way. You want to be happy on your wedding day- and happy with the images that you will have to remember it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would tell him that you are not happy with the direction of your wedding photos and that it is best for the two of you to find another photographer who will meet your needs - I think honesty is the best policy.  Ask if you can get any of your deposit as a refund (but understand that you probably won't).  I don't think there's any point to make up a story. He hsould know exactly why he is losing your business.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Since you're probably going to lose your deposit I would probably talk to your photographer about your concerns and why you're disappointed with your pictures. And see if he's be willing to re-take your pics at no charge. If he retakes him and they still suck, then definitely let him know that you are not interested in signing a contract with him and at least you will have gotten something for your money and your deposit won't have been a complete lost.
  • Options
    skannenbergskannenberg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Judging by the post name "I hate my photog" I am thinking that taking another session would be very awkward for both parties.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well since I'm not a fan of wasting money, as long as he was professional about the situation I would suck it up and try and get something worthwhile for my money, instead of just throwing it down the drain.
  • Options
    koosh ballkoosh ball member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I completely disagree with the last person. If you don't jive with your photographer, you should find a new one.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree that should should find a new photographer if she's not happy with them. I was just trying to say that she should try and get something for her money since she was most likely not going to get her deposit back.
  • Options
    woodfrogswoodfrogs member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    If you have not signed a contract yet, you should be able to get your deposit back. An event is only booked on receipt of retainer fee and signed contract. Tell him the truth, request your money back and go book someone else. It shouldn't be a problem if you have someone reputable.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What did his portfolio look like? Were there similarly posed images? I bet if you were honest with him, he'd do a re-shoot and be more thoughtful about your wedding pics. Send him links to sites you like and tell him you'd like to work with him if he can accomodate you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards