North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Cypress House Inn v Event Home

Hi!  We are planning on using the Cypress House Inn but I feel the Inn is a little pricey to rent out for just 3 nights and we could do about the same or more for an event home but have it for a week.  Has anyone used Cypress House Inn?  I know event homes tack on additional charges and I have a hard to picturing how the set up would be, but we are having a smaller wedding, about 50, so I'm confused again as to what to do.  We already sent out save the dates, but it didn't have a specific location on it. 

Also, anyone use Metro Rentals?  We would probably use them but I'm a little peeved they do not do returns on Sunday...so for a Saturday wedding how are we supose to get the rentals back to them?

Re: Cypress House Inn v Event Home

• Options
    Hi Scarlet,
    Congrats on your engagement! I hope you're enjoying your planning thus far. I was married last October in OBX and I looked seriously at the Cypress Inn for our venue. After reviewing the costs associated with renting out the entire Inn, I felt, like you, it was alot. I was also inviting 50 people and felt it was just too expensive to rent out the whole Inn as well as pay to use their grounds, etc for the event. Also, have you seen the Inn in person? It's not oceanfront and it's pretty small. The side-yard where they would setup the tent for the reception seemed a little too little for what I wanted. We ultimately went with an oceanfront venue down the road from the Inn which sadly has gone out of business now. There are lots of event homes in that area to chose from, I would look into that a bit more. There are some homes with yard space where a tent could be setup, or you can choose one with some "backyard" space which would work too. I know there's some brides who can chime in on the board with house suggestions, as it seems to be popular this year.

As far as rentals, I got estimates from both Ocean Atlantic and Metro. They were very close on price and we went with Ocean Atlantic because they had setup at my venue before. Most of these rental companies will pickup your rental items for you, not sure why not on Sundays. We had a Sunday wedding and OA dropped off Sunday, picked up everything Monday.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    Hi Scarlett- when we originally started planning, we were sure we wanted an event house, but after we looked at the houses we liked, in the location we wanted, it was going to be very expensive. I think our fate was sealed when several people we would have stay in the house with us, said they didn't want to stay at the house where the wedding was taking place. We ended up booking at the Sanderling with their elopement package, you have to have under 40 people for this. It includes quite a lot, and allowed us to have our wedding on the beach. What date did you select on your Save the Dates? If it's in season, houses will be even more expensive.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am using Ocean Atlantic Rentals.  We are having a Saturday wedding.  They are dropping everything off on Friday morning, and picking everything up on Sunday.  Did you look into Ocean Atlantic?  I am using an event home.  We are hosting everything there.  The rehearsal dinner will be there, the wedding and reception, and then the brunch the next morning.  
    We are getting married before the "summer season though."  Our date is May 5th.  Like the girls said, if your date is in the summer, the prices for house sky rocket.  If you are out of season, look into the rental houses, if not, you may want to look into a venue with everything included.  
  • Options
    ScarletB10ScarletB10 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012

Sorry for the delay, I have been stressed out looking for other event homes, we found some we liked but apparently you get what you pay for and the lowest we could go was still more than the Cypress House before any add-ons so we decided to stay with the Cypress House.  And also, the event home wouldn't be used for the enitre week. There are just so many great options that it feels hard to know if I picked the best one!  I am having this issue with every aspect of the wedding, I really feel like I have no idea what I'm doing!  I have seen it in person, it is small but we're having a small wedding and all of the other venues I felt would've been a waste to use on a smaller wedding.  Our date is September 8,  and I got my answer on the rental companies so thanks!

• Options
    Take a deep breath and rememeber, that's what we're here for...to take away some of that stress and help you with the tough decisions.

Also, you have a PM :)

• Options

I'm also thinking of having my reception at the Cypress House Inn. Like Scarlet, I looked into event homes and they were all much more expensive. However, I'm planning to have about 100 people in attendance. I haven't been able to see the Inn in person because I'm in school out of state. For those of you who have seen it, does 100 people seem to be way too many for the Inn? Their website has package prices for up to 125 (I think), so I was assuming it would be big enough. Thoughts?

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Hi Taylor - we were looking into the Cypress House Inn for up to 125 people (looks more like we'll have 100 now).  The owner seemed to think it was fine for that many.  Haven't seen it in person though...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards