Jewish Weddings

Glass for breaking the glass

What is the best type of glass to use for breaking the glass?  My FI wants to use a light bulb because he's afraid he won't break it.  I've seen where you girls have talked about having the glass made into something afterwards (Mezuzah), and I can't imagine a light bulb being the prettiest option for this.  TIA. 

Re: Glass for breaking the glass

• rickylee244rickylee244 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI parents just renewed thier vows this past April and FFIL thought it would be a great idea to use a lightbulb.  It did not just break - it was crushed into teeny tiny powdery glass all over the floor and made a HUGE mess. We are using a colored wine glass because we want to use the glass in a Mezuzah afterward.  Just make sure whatever you use is thin enough that it will break.They also sell online and in stores "wedding glass". Which are colored bulbs of glass.I hope that helps!
    Photobucket Visit The Nest! Photobucket
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using the blue one of these, which are meant for breaking:After the ceremony, we're having Etsy seller Enidtraisman incorporate it into a fused glass mezuzah for us.
  • edited December 2011
    google "shardz" wedding glass.  I think ModernTribe.com carris them. 
  • edited December 2011
    I agree that light bulbs normally have the nice popping sound that the crowd loves but there are some really nice glasses that you can buy online and make them into mezuzahs. Which ever you use remember to wrap it in a napkin or cloth to help catch the shards (if you don't have a puch or something)    
  • edited December 2011
    ***pouch not puch!
  • masteralephmasteraleph member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used something with a stem (wine glass, champagne flute, something like that), which should break pretty easily (at least the stem part). But we didn't want it to be made into anything; it's just what the hall provided us with.
  • dsm111509dsm111509 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have a store at our temple and we ordered the glass from there. It is made for breaking at a wedding. It looks like a wine glass without the stem. It's blue (our main wedding color) and we are going to make it into a Mezuzah after the wedding.
  • MoFreeMoFree member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used a simple lightbulb wrapped in a cloth napkin since we were not planning to have the shards made into a mezuzah or other wedding keepsake.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • katommkatomm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using the win glass his parents drank from over 40 years ago at their wedding. His mom offered it and I am touched. They have a great marriage and we can only hope to have one similar.
  • edited December 2011
    We used a lightbulb (in a pillow that was given to us for wedding) BUT we were also given a glasss that FI was concerned about breaking.  The compromise was that he stepped on that glass we immediately when we arrived home and we will get that one made into something.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards