Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Common Sense - 1; DH - 0

We have one of those room scent things from Yankee Candle where you put the bulb looking thing of oil in it and plug it in.DH decides to unplug it and plug something else in.  Fine.  When he replaces it, he puts it in UPSIDE DOWN, so now there's oil all over.Duh.He cleaned it up and apologized profusely, but I just don't get how he's gotten this far through life.  Apparently not with room fragrance.Please share stories and make me feel better about his lack of common sense.
BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Common Sense - 1; DH - 0

• Options
    I put clothes in the washing machine last night when I got home from work. Text Scott and asked him if he would put the clothes in the washer in the dryer when he got home on his way upstairs. I hear him when he comes home go into the laundry room and do said task. I wake up this mornig and the rat bastard went through, put all of HIS laundry in the dryer and left mine in the washing machine. I had no dry pants.You better BELIEVE he got an ear full this morning.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I realized not too long ago that when FI emptied the kitty litter, he emptied it directly into the garbage can. No garbage bag, just straight in. Gross!
  • Options
    This isnt really a common sense thing, but I love it anyways. We were driving down the street one day, past a home hardware and they had one of their signs outside. My husband looks at me with this smug look on his face and goes "They spelled METER wrong!" (like the people working there are a bunch of idiots). I look at the sign and it says there is a sale for miter saws. I had to go into an explanation of WHAT a miter saw was, because he had no clue. This is the same guy who built a bookshelf and put all of the shelves on backwards, then nailed in the back panel so all of the partical board fibers are showing in the front. He isnt handy.
  • Options
    I'm the dumb one in the relationship, so I really don't have good stories.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    My mom had a 3 wick candle, one of the huge ones, and they have a big party. This candle is going all night long. At the end of the night my drunk step-dad tries to blow out the candle that is now a big bowl of blue liquid. He blew so hard the liquid sprayed all over the wall.
  • Options
    I'm the dumb one in the relationship, so I really don't have good stories. Ditto, that's why I had to use my stepdad.
  • Options
    fish - that sucks!  I once asked DH to take the laundry out of the dryer.  Oh, he did, but left it in a crumpled pile on top of the dryer.  Um, really?  Then what would be the difference between leaving it crumpled IN the dryer or out?  I have to be as clear and specific with him like I am with my students sometimes.  And remind myself that when he messes up, it's probably a result of poor directions (and lack of common sense).

• Options
    Oh I can use my stepdad, too. He was drinking a Diet Coke one time and then realized that he had another open Diet Coke sitting on the counter that he had just opened a short time before. So rather than getting a glass out of the cabinet which was like RIGHT THERE, he proceeded to try to pour the one can into the other one. Diet Coke all over the floor.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    A whole section of my blog is dedicated to this: [url]http://www.thesaltypeanut.com/?cat=4[/url]
  • Options
    I just have to tell him to do things...over, and over and over again. I'll ask him to do something, he'll look straight at me, say ok and then never do it. Then I'll get mad, go do it, slamming doors and he gets all sheepish and tries to take over. That makes me even more angry.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    Stage - I have also had that convo with DH. More than once.He also likes to leave random shiit on the counter.  Yesterday he finished the milk.  I came home from work to find the empty container on the counter.  I could just throw it out, but he'd never learn.  At one point when we were both in the kitchen, I asked him about it and then said "why is it sitting on the counter??  Throw it out if it's garbage!"I have not realized all the years of training my mom has put into my dad over the course of their relationship.

• Options
    I'm definitely the stupid one in the relationship, so I can't help. I got book smarts, not common sense.
  • Options
    Ditto DH being the smart one of the us. It's sad because some of these stories I can see myself doing!He does leave every light in the house on constantly, and without fail when he goes back in to turn it off, he runs upstairs to the bedroom, when more often then not it's the living room light (directly in front of the door) that's on. Very odd.
  • Options
    We have the same issue with trash/recycling Sucrets. Our trash and aluminum container are in our island. FI will poor his drink across the kitchen, walk over the island, around to the side where it opens, and set his can on top of the island. Does it really require so much more energy to crouch down a little (who am I kidding, FI is short, he doesn't have to crouch) and pull the door open?
  • Options
    Damnit, I can't think of any off the top of my head but this kind of stuff happens ALL the time when my DH is in the kitchen. Most notably when he's trying to pour stuff from larger containers to smaller containers. I need to get him a funnel.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    My friend tol dme a funny one recently. Her husband was sent a temporary password for a job application site and he asks her "how do you make an upside down exclamation mark?", she didnt know and asked if he was sure it was an upside down exclamation mark and not a lowercase i, he insists it is an upside down exclamation mark. He struggles with it for another 5 minutes, until she asks him to show him what it is. Its a regular exclamation mark.
  • Options
    Alright, I have to go teach.  I'll catch up later!

• Options
    Oh! I thought of one. I've been anxious lately and not sleeping at all because of the wedding. I've been going to bed 30 minutes before FI so I can fall asleep before he gets upstairs. The slightest movement or noise means I'm not getting any sleep. Two nights ago, he comes upstairs to get the dog off the bed so I can sleep and tells me he'll be up soon to go to bed. Okay, great. He walks out of the room and leaves the hall light on. I assume he's waiting til he gets downstairs. Nope. I assume he's coming right back up. 30 minutes later, he's still not there, and I'm wired and know I'm not going to sleep. I walk downstairs, hoping he just forgot. Nope. "Oh, I thought I wouldwake you up by turning on the light suddenly, so I just left it on." Way to go, FI.
  • Options
    I could go on for DAYS. If he can halfass it, he will. Cleaning the kitchen: putting dirty dishes in sink; NOT wiping the counters or emptying the dishwasher to put the dirty dishes in Laundry: putting clothes in washer and not moving them ever so they mildew; leaving clothes in dryer and just wearing wrinkly clothes rather than folding, etc  I have to specifically ask him throughout the week to throw his nasty dip bottles out. Otherwise, we'd have fifty in the house right now.
  • Options
    When asking FI questions one must be very very specific. One night we made a pot of coffee, drank a few cups, I went to bed. I got up the next morning and went to reheat some of the leftover coffee from the night before but there was only maybe three centimeters of coffee in the pot. I asked "Did you reheat the coffee after I went to bed last night?" He said "No." I said "Strange, I thought there was a lot more left." He said "Oh, I drank it. I just didn't reheat it."
  • Options
    Georgia, the dip bottles are the WORST. H used to chew and I... did... the... yes, you know. I took a big 'ole gulp of "soda" that was chew spit. That was in his old apartment and was the only time I ever screamed, threw something against a wall and threw up all at the same time. I literally snapped. Oh God my mouth is salivating just thinking about how gross that was.
  • Options
    Mine has a bad habit of using my bathroom in the middle of the night...ends up peeing on my seat. He SWEARS he doesn't use it at all, so I guess he's sleep-peeing or something. He also leaves kitchen trash on the counter. Our kitchen is tiny and we have maybe two feet of usable counter space. So why don't you just turn around and put the item in the trash instead of leaving it there?
    planning

• Options
    Oh, Salty Peanut... :gag: I have never made that mistake only because I triple check anyhing I'm drinking just in case. Sometimes I lay them on his pillow when they start piling up on his side of the bed. If he would throw them away before getting another bottle, it would be so much easier.
  • Options
    SaltyPeanut I am gagging!! BLECH!!!!
  • Options
    This would be the first I could remember. The other day FI and I were talking about health insurance. I asked him if pregenancy is included in his insurance he said no it does not say anything about that. I asked if he has his papers that have the benefits on it . He goes to find it, brings it back and I read it. I say to Fi do you know what maternity means. He says no so I told him thsat is mean pregenancy is included. It was a lot funnier when it happened but this type of thing happens a lot.
  • Options
    We used to live in a TINY apartment with no kitchen counters so we would use the stove for prep and the crap would fall into the burners and cause a mess.  So one day I saw 4 burner covers for a $1. I excitedly bring them home and put them on the burners, FI thought they were great.  Later that night he's cooking dinner and I smell something burning.  I jump up and scream because he had turned on the wrong burner (so I thought) and the cover was burning.  I threw it out into the snow and we had a good laugh about him turning on the wrong burner.  5 minutes later I again smell burning.  I go to the stove and he has a pot ON TOP of the burner cover and he turned the burner on.  This time I yelled louder and laughed harder. Apparently he meant to turn the burner on before, he thought you could cook THROUGH those things.Then when I explained that they are just for when you're not cooking he proclaimed they were stupid and chucked them all out.
  • Options
    Salty, FI did that too.  His BM that he used to live with chews, and he took a big ol' swig from his chew can.  Not a happy camper.Also, at this same house (how it isn't declared a toxic waste dump, I don't know), the BM's brother had a habit of leaving dishes around wherever.  As the story is told, FI grabbed a clean-ish looking glass from the sink and put milk in it, not paying much attention.  Turns out, there was a several days old egg sitting in the bottom of it.  Didn't realize that until AFTER he drank the whole glass, old egg yolk and all.As a result of that housing experience, he is very, very clean.  No housetraining needed on this one, thank god.
  • Options
    Noodle is a neat freak so he actually pisses me off when I clean, because he feels the need to go behind me and reclean sh*t because "I'm not doing it right."  WTF ever, piss off.  We live in a 750 square foot apartment and it takes him 2 and a half hours to clean it EVERY SATURDAY.  I don't even want to think about what's going to happen when we get a house.  Not to mention the fact that as soon as I finish eating, if I don't put my dishes in the sink (and rinse them out, and preclean them) within like, 10 minutes he's freaking out and b*tching about always having to clean up after me, blah blah blah.  Holy crap, I just finished my soup ten minutes ago and then went to the bathroom.  Slow your roll. Yet he consistently leaves his cans and bottles on the counter next to the kitchen sink, instead of putting them in the recycling bag under the kitchen sink. 

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards