South Asian Weddings

Way to break it to those who invite extras

The perfect speech to those pesky folks who cross out that 2 under "Number of Persons Attending" and write 5 because their cousin's friend's roommate's sister's family is in town visiting.  http://blogs1.marthastewart.com/weddings/2009/09/rsvps-with-extra-guests.htmlDo you think this speech would work with South Asians?  I could totally see some aunty try to give my a guilt trip if I said this to her and she would honestly think she's in the right.

Re: Way to break it to those who invite extras

• edited December 2011
    that is helpful but depending on some families and traditions it owuldn't work no matter what!
  • Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's a great speech, but I think it would only work half the time.  I think the more modern SA families (particularly ones who have had children recently get married) would probably understand.  But there would be a lot of the traditional aunties who would be so surprised that you would even suggest leaving their brother's cousin's in-laws at home for one evening. 
  • edited December 2011
    Ha ha ha.  I just can't see that going over well in my circle. I don't mind the extra people as long as they rsvp. :)
  • edited December 2011
    however rude this might seem, for certain rsvp cards of people we suspect may try to bring more than the invited amount, under the name line, we are writing (2 Adults), etc.  Hoping that they will get the hint.  Definitely not for all the guests, just those certain ones we're more worried about.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards