DC
Options

NWR - Commute distance

Hi ladies, I was hoping I could get some time estimates from you as I've heard a wide range from people I know in the area.Dh works in Alexandria, I work near Chantilly. We are looking to buy a house somewhere in between for less than $200. Our agent suggested looking in Woodbridge or Manassas, however I have heard that would be over 1.5 hours commute.Anyone have some time estimates while factoring in the joys of rush hour?

Re: NWR - Commute distance

• Options
    edited December 2011
    No idea. Can you try doing the commute some day? go to Woodbridge or Manassas during commute hours and see what the traffic is. I live in arlington, work in DC. The commute varies depending on what day it is and quite frankly where you are trying to go and during different hours. Depending on where you live and when you work you might be lucky enough to be opposite commute traffic.
  • Options
    spuliaficospuliafico member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can get some deals in Woodbridge, for serious, that's where we're looking and we're looking for $150 and under! It should definitely not take you 1.5 hours to get the Chantilly, I can't speak for Alexandria. I used to live in Montclair (just south of Woodbridge) and commute to downtown Fairfax (maybe 5 miles from Chantilly? Not that I think you don't know where it is just to give a gauge of which part!) I left the house at 6:30am and got to work be 7:10am...I didn't have to be there till 8 but if I left at 6:45 I didn't get there until it was too close for comfort. I used to just shower and leave and then put my makeup on at my desk and all that stuff! But, if you're in Woodbridge just taking Miniville to Old Bridge to 123 you won't have to leave as early as I did cause I had to take 95 or add 30 minutes to my commute to go that back way (which I did, sometimes). It's definitely not 1.5 hours though unless you get stuck behind a  wreck. Also on my way home I left work at 5 and I was usually home by 5:40.
  • Options
    guacamollyguacamolly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Depending on what part of Chantilly - my guess would be it's probably in the 45ish minute range. To Alexandria - again totally depends on where in Alexandria you're going and if public transportation is an option. I would definitely look into all forms of public (and commuter rideshare!) transportation from Woodbridge. Despite it being farther out, they have a good amount of options as far as commuting goes and depending on whether or not these work for your schedules and locations, they can be wonderful. Ex: my parents live in Woodbridge (Lakeridge area - you DEFINITELY want to be close to 95!) and my dad works in SW at the Navy Yard. He works 7-3 and since he "slugs" it takes him about 30-40 minutes to get to and from work. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any specific questions about Woodbridge, I lived there for almost 20 years and just recently moved to Arlington. There are definitely some places to avoid and some that are nicer. My e-mail is hoffmamf @ gmail dot com.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i used to live on the northern edge of woodbridge (belmont bay) and i work in chantilly close to the 50/28 intersection, my commute was about 45 minutes each way (used 123 and the ffx county parkway)- any deeper into woodbridge and you're looking to significantly lengthen that time- i'd stick to looking off old bridge closer to 123 (there's a ton of neighborhoods around there) or belmont bay (easy access to rt 1/95 north for DH and 123 for you)i have no idea about commutes up to alexandria- never had to do it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I live in Harpers Ferry & work near Chantilly & my commute is 1 hour. I love having our own house & acreage!!! 
  • Options
    kjane12kjane12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used to live in Woodbridge and would either 'slug' or commute with family to Alexandria in order to use HOV.  It would only take 45 min.  I say 'only' because of the comparison to 1.5 hrs.  However, if I didn't use HOV, I'm sure it would've taken me 1.5 hrs. 
  • Options
    katiewhompuskatiewhompus member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay thank you ladies :) Our agent suggested a house near Harper's Ferry so that we could get a bigger newer house for our budget. Then I map quested it and it was an estimated 1.5 hours without traffic for Dh.Yeah..at that point why own a house if you'll never be home to use it?Saturday we're going to see some houses by Dale City. The pics are absolutely gorgeous so crossing our fingers they are as nice as they seem and don't have any offers yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards