North Carolina
Options

State Fair Poll

For those of you that go to the State Fair.

What's your favorite thing about the fair?
What's your favorite food at the fair?
What is one thing you will never eat at the fair even to save your life?
What's the craziest thing you've seen at the fair?

Re: State Fair Poll

• Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What's your favorite thing about the fair? The competition buildings.  I love seeing the plants and flowers and pumpkins and fruits and veggies and animals and quilts and jams and cakes and tablescapes and everything. 

What's your favorite food at the fair? Recently it's been the apple sticks (apples that are fried and then sprinkled with cinnamon and powdered sugar and served in a waffle bowl).  I also love the roasted corn but I can't eat it.  We usually start the day with a steak sandwich and try to eat as much as possible.  I also LOVE the apple cider that's down next to the blacksmiths' area (cold during the day, then hot right before the fireworks start)

What is one thing you will never eat at the fair even to save your life? Fried twinkies.  I won't eat a twinkie in any application. 

What's the craziest thing you've seen at the fair? Ha, good question.  Usually just the people. Crazy teenagers thinking they're cool.  The randoms that are pulled out of the woodwork, etc.
  • Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE the Ferris Wheel, but I haven't ridden it in years because the line is sooo freaking long. Aside from that, my favorite treat would be a FRESH funnel cake with warm cherries on top. Another favorite would be seeing all the farm animals and GIANT pumpkins

Funnel Cakes. I really want to try the turkey leg, but Im not sure if I could finish it all by myself. DH wants to try the deep fried Oreos this year. I'm not too sure about that. We also both LOVE the fresh kettle corn :)

Fried twinkie and the fried butter. Icky

As Mary put it.... all the randoms that show up. I mean, where on earth are some of these people from!? Some of the outfits are also rather crazy/scary.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are going on Sunday!!  We are actually meeting a prospective caterer there, which is saving us a four hour drive to where we would normally meet her.  Yay! 

What's your favorite thing about the fair? The food!
    What's your favorite food at the fair? Funnel Cakes and Chocolate covered pineapple
    What is one thing you will never eat at the fair even to save your life? A donut hamburger. I don't eat meat but even if I did, I don't think I could manage that
    What's the craziest thing you've seen at the fair?  Well it isn't exactly crazy, but I knew for sure I loved my fiance when he was playing rockband against a little kid. The little kid was nervous and FI got down on his level and told him not to worry and just have fun. I told him I loved him later that day for the first time!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What's your favorite thing about the fair? the food and people watchingWhat's your favorite food at the fair? funnel cakesWhat is one thing you will never eat at the fair even to save your life? the giant turkey legWhat's the craziest thing you've seen at the fair? I agree with everyone else, the people.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What's your favorite thing about the fair?I love seeing all the animals and all the foods. I kind of wish it was smaller town kind of stuff though with pie contests, etc.
    What's your favorite food at the fair?Umm...I'm not too crazy about fair food, but I love eating at the Church BBQs.
    What is one thing you will never eat at the fair even to save your life?That Krispy Kreme burger they had last year. Ew. Or fried butter. That
    What's the craziest thing you've seen at the fair?I don't know if it's really the craziest, but it really bugs me to see all the parents with their kids out so late at night. It just doesn't seem like the best environment to me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_state-fair-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:c5c5ab91-5765-4e4c-8f13-5df7924fc0c1Post:12f20516-8d65-4ba7-a924-780dc1f92c3b">Re: State Fair Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]What's your favorite thing about the fair? I love seeing all the animals and all the foods. I kind of wish it was smaller town kind of stuff though with <strong>pie contests,</strong> etc. What's your favorite food at the fair? Umm...I'm not too crazy about fair food, but I love eating at the Church BBQs. What is one thing you will never eat at the fair even to save your life? That Krispy Kreme burger they had last year. Ew. Or fried butter. That What's the craziest thing you've seen at the fair? I don't know if it's really the craziest, but <strong>it really bugs me to see all the parents with their kids out so late at night</strong>. It just doesn't seem like the best environment to me.
    Posted by kelsey+brandon[/QUOTE]

I think they do have contests? It's in the castle looking building. Or at least they used to have the contest. I could be completely making that up. . .

You would have gone NUTS at Howl-O-Scream. We went this past weekend over fall break and I saw soooo many kids that, IMO, should not have been there. Mostly it irked me when parents were taking their 2-6 year olds (some a little older) into these haunted houses and the kids were SCREAMING because they were so scared and the parents were laughing about it. I wanted to smack them. I mean come on. . .   I also hear a dad in front of me fuss at his young daughter because she was scared and wanted to go home and he was like "We didn't spend 60 bucks a pop so that you could whine about going home". . ughhhh. .

*Steps off soapbox
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kelsey they do have pie competitions, etc.  They're in the long buildings that I don't remember the name of right now.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't edit my post for some reason today...so here:

http://ncstatefair.org/2011/Competitions/PremiumBook/2011CookingContests.pdf

Scroll down to pg 7 for the Pie competition rules. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Pig Races!  Love them!
    My favorite food would have to be the blooming onions or the deep fried snickers  bar.
    Fried butter - yuck!
    I agree, it's definately the people!
    image180 image85 image8 Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep, my mom enters the competitions every year.  A couple years she's won best cookies in the state!  She's also won contests for her fudge and caramels.  I have to stay away from her house when the fair rolls around because she's always trying to give me the extras haha.

"Recently it's been the apple sticks (apples that are fried and then sprinkled with cinnamon and powdered sugar and served in a waffle bowl).  "

HOW HAVE I NOT SEEN THESE?!  I know what I'm on the hunt for Sunday hahaha.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_state-fair-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:c5c5ab91-5765-4e4c-8f13-5df7924fc0c1Post:96820194-6c03-49ad-8a18-9c58b0e2a84b">Re: State Fair Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know what I'm on the hunt for Sunday hahaha.
    Posted by shigaites[/QUOTE]

I am going on Sunday too!  Everyone should go on Sunday and we could have a gtg!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_state-fair-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:c5c5ab91-5765-4e4c-8f13-5df7924fc0c1Post:9a829ffc-03b6-4a26-90a0-fbbdefde490e">Re: State Fair Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: State Fair Poll : I am going on Sunday too!  Everyone should go on Sunday and we could have a gtg!
    Posted by thevegetariana[/QUOTE]

Hah, we may also be there on Sunday too! If you see a tall redhead, randomly yell 'Beka!' and see if they turn around ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Boo we're going on Saturday...

well, maybe I can convince H to go Sunday too.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_state-fair-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:c5c5ab91-5765-4e4c-8f13-5df7924fc0c1Post:96820194-6c03-49ad-8a18-9c58b0e2a84b">Re: State Fair Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yep, my mom enters the competitions every year.  A couple years she's won best cookies in the state!  She's also won contests for her fudge and caramels.  I have to stay away from her house when the fair rolls around because she's always trying to give me the extras haha. " Recently it's been the apple sticks (apples that are fried and then sprinkled with cinnamon and powdered sugar and served in a waffle bowl).  " HOW HAVE I NOT SEEN THESE?!  I know what I'm on the hunt for Sunday hahaha.

H says they were located between the Jim Graham building and Dorton Arena the past few years (his Fair geography is way better than mine).  It's a vendor that basically just sells these, and they're not with all the other foods.  Easy to miss but worth hunting down.  And also I may not have the right name for them, but it's an apple something (Apple Fries may be the right name) and they're awesome.

Edited (YAY I CAN EDIT) for accurate building names now that I've seen a fairground map.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_state-fair-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:c5c5ab91-5765-4e4c-8f13-5df7924fc0c1Post:ccb3b705-a2da-4271-bfca-982c558699ad">Re: State Fair Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: State Fair Poll : Hah, we may also be there on Sunday too! If you see a tall redhead, randomly yell 'Beka!' and see if they turn around ;)
    Posted by NcsuPsych[/QUOTE]

Not to be confused with this redhead who doesn't go to the fair.  I can't stand all those people in one place.
    C+D, Four kids, two kids-in-law, four grandkids
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I found them and they were indeed delicious :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_state-fair-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:c5c5ab91-5765-4e4c-8f13-5df7924fc0c1Post:e3f98c8f-e7fb-4af7-ab9e-65bc8b39c6dc">Re: State Fair Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I found them and they were indeed delicious :)

Yay!  Good.  I got some while we were there on Saturday.  I enjoyed them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DH and I just got back from the fair and we had a blast :)
    We went around 4, after he picked me up from campus and spent a couple of hours there. It was really nice because it wasn't super crowded and I could acutally see everything, as opposed to going at night :)

I hope everyone that went had a blast! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_state-fair-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:c5c5ab91-5765-4e4c-8f13-5df7924fc0c1Post:ab1a9d69-7e6b-45c0-882f-c5f69605cca8">Re: State Fair Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]DH and I just got back from the fair and we had a blast :) We went around 4, after he picked me up from campus and spent a couple of hours there. It was really nice because it wasn't super crowded and I could acutally see everything, as opposed to going at night :) I hope everyone that went had a blast! :)
    Posted by NcsuPsych[/QUOTE]

We probably passed eachother.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's possible hah. I couldn't see part of the time due to the sun and me forgetting my sunglasses. Im sad I didn't get my funnel cake. I wasn't hungry for one yesterday, but now I want one. Dangit. . .
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards